Monday, September 17, 2012

Psalm 116 - Praising God for Deliverance!

LINK: Psalm 116

BACKGROUND

This is part of a group of Hallel songs (Psalms 113-118). These songs were sung at the three "great" festivals of Israel, when every male was to come to Jerusalem (Deuteronomy 16:16). Those three festivals were Passover, Pentecost, and the Feast of Tabernacles. They were also sung at other holy days. Psalm 113-114 were sung before the Passover meal, and  Psalm 115-118 were sung afterwards. 

This psalm is undated but is often associated with an elderly Jeremiah because of the life threatening situation the psalmist in which he found himself. He borrows from Psalm 18, 27, 31, and 56 and has some similarities to King Hezekiah's prayer in Isaiah 37 and psalm of thanksgiving in Isaiah 38.  

REFLECTION

I was not facing death like the psalmist, but on June 16, 2006, I was released from something that was trapping me and killing me spiritually.  I prayed through this psalm today as I reflected on that time. 

I claim Psalm 116 for a particular June 16  when He "freed me from my chains" (116:16).    

It is also significant that I am writing this entry on Independence Day, and I am celebrating my independence from the prison of that situation!!! 

YIPPEE!!!! Doing the happy dance.

APPLICATION/PRAYER 

Have you ever been released from "chains" of any kind? Let this psalm lead you into praise and worship today!
Post a Comment