Monday, July 27, 2009

Isaiah 63-64 - Confession

by Katrina

LINK:
Isaiah 63-64

BACKGROUND
Chapter 63 opens up with a vivid picture of God's wrath on His enemies. Edom represents all the nations that have oppressed the Jews. Bozrah was one of the major cities of Edom, and its name means "grape gathering." The winepress of Isaiah's day was a large hollowed out rock on a hillside. They put the grapes on the rock and walked on them to press out the juice. The juice would run downhill into the waiting vessels. In His wrath, God will trample His enemies.

Beginning in verse seven and continuing through the rest of today's passage, Isaiah speaks. He begins with praise to the Lord for His love and kindness toward Israel through the years. He speaks of how God was a shepherd who took care of His sheep and how He led them through the waters of the Red Sea. (63:7-14)

Then Isaiah asks God to demonstrate His compassion to Israel. Israel is ignoring God, and God has allowed her to stray. Isaiah wants God to draw His people back to Himself. But as it is, Israel doesn't look any different than the nations around Her. There is no evidence that Israel's God is any different from the pagan gods. (63:15-19)

Isaiah continues praying and asks God to demonstrate His power (64:1-4). He recalls how God showed His power at Mt. Sinai and asks God to do it again. He wants God to show Himself in such a way that all who see it will know His name and will fear Him.

But Israel has sinned, and God has allowed her to live in her iniquity. Isaiah makes confession for the nation of Israel (64:5-7). And then appeals to God for intervention. He calls God "our Father" and "our potter," reminding God that Israel is the work of God's own hand. He pleads with God not to be "angry beyond measure." The destruction is enough, please intervene! (64:8-12)

REFLECTION & APPLICATION
Do I grieve the Holy Spirit? (63:10) Does my sin cause the stirring of God's heart and His compassion toward me to be restrained? (63:15) Is my heart hardened so that I don't fear Him? (63:17) Does my life look just like the world around me? (63:19)

If so, I must come to God in humility and confession. I love verses 8-9, "But now, O Lord, You are our Father. We are the clay, and You our potter. And all of us are the work of Your hand. Do not be angry beyond measure, O Lord. Neither remember iniquity forever. Behold, look now, all of us are Your people."

God is the one who can turn my heart toward Himself. He will forgive my sin and soften my heart. He will have compassion on me when I turn from my sin and toward Him. And He will make my life one that is tantalizingly different from the world.

I'm reminded of the hymn Have Thine Own Way, Lord!

Have Thine own way, Lord! Have Thine own way!
Thou art the Potter, I am the clay.
Mold me and make me after Thy will,
While I am waiting, yielded and still.

Have Thine own way, Lord! Have Thine own way!
Search me and try me, Master today!
Whiter than snow, Lord, wash me just now,
As in Thy presence humbly I bow.

Have Thine own way, Lord! Have Thine own way!
Wounded and weary, help me I pray.
Power, all power, surely is Thine!
Touch me and heal me, Savior divine!

Have Thine own way, Lord! Have Thine own way!
Hold o'er my being absolute sway!
Fill with Thy Spirit till all shall see
Christ only, always, living in me!

PRAYER
Lord, thank you for the work that You do in my heart! You are the potter; mold me into a vessel for Your use. Keep turning my heart toward You to walk in Your ways. Thank You for making me Your child, through Jesus. Amen.

No comments: