Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Ezekiel 38 - Attack of Gog and His Allies

LINK: Ezekiel 38

BACKGROUND

Ezekiel described an alliance between Magog (a great power from the north, 38:15) and Persia (Iran), Ethiopia, Libya, Gomer (Ukraine), and Togarmah (southeast of the Black Sea, probably Armenia and part of Turkey). There has been great speculation about where Magog might be located, but we do not know! We do know that Noah's son, Japheth had a son named Magog (Genesis 10:2). Magog means the "land of Gog" and is located somewhere north near the Caspian and Black Sea. Present-day Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, and Russia are in this general area. Meshech and Tubal are mentioned, and these two places are located in eastern Asia Minor (Central Turkey). These nations will ally and be brought together against Israel, but this is so that the Lord can show His might and power over these strong nations: "O Gog, I will bring you against my land, so that the nations may know me when I show myself holy through you before their eyes" (38:16). He will also bear witness to a watching world:". . . so I will show My greatness and My holiness, and I will make Myself known in the sight of many nations. Then they will know that I am the LORD" (38:23).

Some have tried to say that these are events at the end of human history, but there are too many differences between Revelation 20 and Ezekiel 38 to make that kind of case. No matter what your view, I think the point of this chapter is that God will make His greatness and holiness known to all!

REFLECTION

Here is another verse that points to God's desire for "many nations" to know His might and power. Take note, and we will finish this up tomorrow.

APPLICATION

Pray for many modern-day countries mentioned in this chapter:


PRAYER

We praise You as the Lord almighty. We acknowledge Your rule and reign over all the earth. May Your kingdom come and Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Amen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is certainly interesting for me to read that article. Thanx for it. I like such themes and everything connected to them. I definitely want to read more on that blog soon.

Carol Ann Weaver said...

These are some really important countries to pray for! Some are in the news quite a bit right now.