Thursday, December 27, 2007

More Details about the BBC

I had an email with questions, and I thought I should probably fill you in on more details of the BBC by cutting and pasting my response to her:

Amount per day: About a chapter a day. It is more if the chapter is short. In my Bible, it is a page and a half. Just reading it takes about five minutes (but it is short so you can LINGER in verses that really "hit" you as you read!).

The goal is a smaller portion of Scripture everyday so you can mull it over and chew on it a while. We can talk about how to meditate on the Word too and how to dig more deeply in study in passages where you want to understand more than what you learn from just reading it.

Process: I will post on the Bible Book Club Blog on a daily basis. There I will give background info (if needed), reflections, possible applications, and a prayer. There is opportunity to give comments on the blog so everyone can read them and respond too. I hope it can be interactive.

ALSO, I would LOVE it if any of you would like to do the "post for the day" with your own background research, reflections, prayer, application! Blogspot has the capacity to allow more than one contributer on the blog. It would be great to have other "contributers for the day (week, month, etc)"! There will be times when I will be on vacation and not near a computer. So, I may even be asking for this. I am not expert on the Bible! So, don't be shy. This is a time of mutual accountability and encouragement!

Monthly Live Book Club: The discussions are face to face in my home for anyone who wants to come. :) It will be the first Monday of each month starting in February where we will talk about Genesis up to the life of Joseph. It will be a book discussion just like our book club. :) Just sharing what you learned from your reading. They are OPTIONAL though. No pressure to come, but I would love it if you did! Someone mentioned "online chat," but I don't know how to do those anymore!

SCHEDULE

Year One: The History of Israel from Genesis to Esther

Jan Genesis 1-35 (Discuss first Mon in Feb)
Feb Genesis 36 - end (Discuss first Mon in March)
Mar Exodus (Discuss first Mon in Apr)
Apr Leviticus (First Mon in May)
May Numbers (you get the idea)
Jun Deuteronomy
July Joshua
Aug Judges, Ruth
Sep 1 Sam
Oct 2 Sam, 1 Kings (skipping 1,2 Chronicles till Year Two)
Nov 2 Kings, Ezra
Dec Nehemiah, Esther

There will also be reading Psalms in their historical context. 

Year Two: Wisdom Literature and Prophets from Job to Malachi

Jan Job
Feb Ecclesiastes, Song of Solomon
Mar 1 Chronicles (Placed here to preceed prophets for context)
Apr 2 Chronicles
May Isaiah 1-33
Jun Isaiah 34-66
Jul Jeremiah 1-27
Aug Jeremiah 28-52, Lamentations
Sep Ezekial 1-32
Oct Ezekial 33-48, Daniel
Nov Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah, Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk
Dec Zeph, Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi

Psalms 73-150 and Proverbs 16-31 are sprinkled throughout

I don't have Year Three all figured out yet, but we have some time for that!

Hope this helps you!

10 comments:

Dancingirl said...

Carol, I'm willing to do some "posts for the day." Just let me know when. I will be getting the Bible you're using, too!

Susanne Barrett said...

I'm also willing to do some "posts for the day" as well. Just let me know.

Will you also post a more detailed reading list (i.e., daily readings) for each month? As in, read this on the 1st, this on the 2nd, etc.? I can't invest in the book right now but look forward to doing the readings in my own Bibles. (I like to read more than one translation when I'm "chewing.")

Susanne Barrett said...

PS -- Is the list starting with Job for Year Two or for Year One? I'm assuming Year Two, but both lists are headed "Year One." I'm assuming a mistake, but want to be sure. :)

Joy said...

Hi, Becky from the South is a friend of mine and invited me to join this. I think we as believers in the body of Christ need to be more unified regardless of church affliation and encouraging one another in His word is just one way to accomplish this. All that being said, I would love to join in. So I'm assuming that you'll need to send me an invitation to join the blog. I haven't used blog spot in many months and have forgotten most of the protocols. Thanks so much.
In Christ,
Joy

Carol Ann Weaver said...

Thank you Susanne! I didn't see that I said "Year One" again.

Yes, I will post a detailed list on the side bar for you all who aren't buying the book. Also, it will be the head of every post.

I will also add you to the "posts for the day." You and dancinggirl are such great writers. It will be nice to have you doing it too!

Carol Ann Weaver said...

Joy, you are in! I am so glad that you are going to join in the fun.

I will add you to the blogroll, and since you are already signed in, you can just post away in the comments section!

Cherie on the farm said...

Hi-

I am a friend of dancingirl365 and think this sounds like so much fun! Please add me to the roll. I am looking forward to hearing what all of you wise ladies have to say :0)

Katrina said...

I'm willing to contribute posts as well. I'm looking forward to the reading and discussion.

ibeeeg said...

This sounds very neat. I read through several of the posts and enjoyed.

Mind if I join?
I am Deanna, I live in Illinois. I found your blog while reading Carrie's at Reading To Know blog...she posted about this.

Thanks.

Carol Ann Weaver said...

Sure Deanna! Do join!