Monday, July 7, 2008

Day 188 : Psalm 37

SCRIPTURE LINK: Psalm 37

BACKGROUND

Psalm 37 is an acrostic poem with each verse beginning with a letter of the Hebrew alphabet, though apparently out of order. This may have been a poetic device and/or it could have been a mnemonic device, to aid in memorizing.

REFLECTION AND APPLICATION

Our family has been away for the July 4th weekend, so my entry will be brief for once!

This psalm touches on the age-old question: Why do the godly so often suffer and the ungodly so often succeed? And as in the case of Job, the question isn’t really answered. I wonder if the “why” question about suffering isn’t one of those “secret things that belong to God” mentioned in Deuteronomy 29:29.

What are we told in this psalm?

Three times we’re told, “Do not fret!” When we fret, we are envious or jealous or anxious about something and fume and let it eat away at us. The wind and the rain fret a limestone cliff and wear it away little bit by little bit. A river wears a new channel by fretting its banks – wearing away at them until they corrode. In this chapter we’re told not to fret with envy at the success of those around us who aren’t living for God. But I think we can extend that admonition to include anything that troubles us. Fretting, or discontent, doesn’t help anything and it has at least two possible negative results that I can think of. It eats away at us and makes us bitter. Or it eats away at us and causes us to begin imitating those who are living life without God. Lest we head too far in that direction, David points out how temporary are the benefits of the ugodly. He also contrasts the godly and the wicked.

Let’s focus on what we are to do…

Trust in the Lord.
Do good.
Delight in the Lord.
Commit our way to the Lord.
Trust Him (again!).
Rest in the Lord.
Wait patiently for Him.
Depart from guilt and do good (again!).
Wait on the Lord (again!).
Keep His way.

I like how Spurgeon puts it in his Treasury of David, “There is a joy in holy activity which drives away the rust of discontent. So shalt thou dwell in the land. In "the land" which floweth with milk and honey; the Canaan of the covenant. Thou shalt not wander in the wilderness of murmuring, but abide in the promised land of content and rest. ‘We which have believed do enter into rest.’ Very much of our outward depends upon the inward: where there is heaven in the heart there will be heaven in the house.”

While we trust and rest and wait and commit our way to God, we aren't supposed to sit around twiddling our thumbs. We are to do good, to show mercy, and give of ourselves!

I hope you’ll take some time to note what God promises the godly (those who follow Him).

What is your favorite verse from this psalm? What lesson did you come away with?

PRAYER

Our LORD God, It is so easy to look around us at others and get tired and wonder why and doubt. Sometimes life just doesn’t seem fair. Help us to pay attention to the words of wisdom in this psalm. Help us to realize that You are our help and that we don’t live only for what this life can give. Help us to be farsighted rather than shortsighted. Keep our gaze on You. Help us to trust You and actively do good where we are.

4 comments:

Carol Ann Weaver said...

I pray through Face to Face: Praying the Scripture for Intimate Worship during my morning walks, and low and behold, guess what my Scriptures for "Renewal" were this morning? Psalm 37:3-7! Isn't that positively providential? I have pored over this psalm so many times over the years, and it always grounds me and centers me back from looking at others to looking at only God and "feeding on His faithfulness" (RSV says "enjoy security" NIV says "enjoy safe pasture") I had to look at the idolatry in my heart this morning as I look at people who "prosper" and get ahead through running over and controlling people. The occupy too much of my heart. Not that I want their life, but I focus on their behavior instead of God. I had to confess my lack of focus on Him. There is no security in focusing on sinful people! God is the only safe pasture for my heart. Good words, Becky. Thank you.

Dancingirl said...

It is providential. This a.m. after I read the Bible (catching up in Joshua), I opened up
My Utmost for His Highest
and guess where the Scripture was from this weekend! Both Sat. and Sunday were from Ps. 37.

I have turned to this psalm a lot myself. So much there. It is so easy to look anywhere but Him, but, as you say,the best place to rest and feed is in Him.

Katrina said...

My favorite part of this psalm -- "The steps of a man are established by the Lord; and He (the Lord) delights in his (the man's) way. When he falls, he shall not be hurled headlong, because the Lord is the One who holds his hand." (vs. 23-24) I love the image of God holding my hand, so that when I fall, I won't be injured so much.

Dancingirl said...

Katrina, I'm so glad you mentioned those verses - I loved them, too, and wanted to mention them, but ran out of time and energy.

Sometimes we feel like we're falling headlong at the time, but looking back we can see how God was holding our hand all the time.