Tuesday, March 17, 2009

1 Chronicles 20-21 - God's Amazing Mercy

LINK: 1 Chronicles 20-21
Parallel passage - 2 Samuel 24

BACKGROUND
Chapter 20 - This chapter continues with the battles described in yesterday's reading. The chronicler leaves out the account of David's adultery with Bathsheba and murder of Uriah. Those events occurred in the spring when David stayed at Jerusalem (20:1).

Chapter 21 - Satan shows up as an adversary again, and God allows him to tempt David (remember Job?). David fell to the temptation to number the warriors, even though Joab advised him against it. Why was this census sinful?

It seems that David had an attitude of pride. He was numbering the warriors for the value to his own ego. David may have had other plans of what to do with the information once it was gathered, but they aren't revealed in these accounts. The act of numbering the people was not the problem; it was the motive behind the act that brought guilt on David.

To me, the amazing thing in this event is how much God allowed David to see. He saw the spiritual and physical effects of his sin on the people.

David's actions had drastic consequences. God is a just God. But David did seek the Lord and repented, and God did relent in the end. God is a merciful God. David trusted the mercy of God and knew he could depend on it. He wasn't so sure he could depend on the mercy of man. That's why he said in verse 13, "Let me fall into the hand of the Lord, for His mercies are very great. But do not let me fall into the hand of man."

REFLECTION
Mercy. God's mercy. All the wrath of God that I deserve is withheld from me by his mercy. He chooses not to destroy and condemn me only because of his mercy. He is patient with me, loves me, and forgives me because of his mercy.

APPLICATION
Spend some time today reflecting on the mercy of God and thanking him, oh so very much, for it!

PRAYER
This I recall to my mind. Therefore I have hope. Through your mercies, Lord, I am not consumed, because your compassion does not fail. Your mercies are new every morning. Great is Your faithfulness!

(adapted from Lamentations 3:21-23)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Katrina, Thank you for this post! I loved your discussion of God's mercy, especially the part about David not trusting the mercy of man and that he would rather "fall into the hands of God."
Cathi (we "met" via Skype at BBC last month)

Tea42 said...

Katrina,
Amen. God is love. We are just at the tip of the iceberg in understanding God's amazing love and His lovingkindness and mercies that are new every morning.

Bless you.
Dorothy

Katrina said...

Hi Cathi & Dorothy,
When I think about God's mercy, it's just astounding to me! We have an amazing God! Thanks for your comments.

And, you're right, Dorothy, what we know is just the tip of the iceberg.

Cathi, it was nice "meeting" you via Skype (isn't technology wonderful!) Hopefully I'll be able to "come" to BBC again next month. That was fun! :)