Monday, November 2, 2009

Ezekiel 20:1-44 - A History Lesson for the Elders

by Katrina

LINK: Ezekiel 20:1-44

BACKGROUND
When some elders of Israel came to Ezekiel to inquire of the Lord, God refused to listen to them and told them they had no right to inquire of Him. God refused to listen to their request because they were refusing to listen to Him with their hearts. They had no intention of listening to God and submitting to His instruction. We are told that the date of this encounter was August 14, 591 B.C.

God does, however, have a message for these elders. He begins with a history lesson from His perspective.
  • I chose this people, the descendants of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob (vs 5).
  • I brought them up out of Egypt and told them to put away their idols, but they rebelled and would not listen to Me and so kept their idols. I resolved to destroy them, but I held back for the sake of My name (vs 5-9).
  • I brought them to the wilderness and gave them My law to live by. But they rebelled against Me and rejected My laws and profaned My sabbaths. Once again I resolved to destroy them, but for the sake of My name, instead of destroying them, I kept them in the wilderness while the next generation rose up (vs 10-17).
  • I instructed their children not to be like their fathers but to keep My law. But they rebelled against Me by ignoring My ordinances and profaning My sabbaths. So I resolved to pour out My wrath on them, but then I withdrew My hand and for the sake of My name did not wipe them out (vs 18-22).
  • Just before I took them into the land, I gave them the law again and knew they wouldn't keep it (even though they said they would). I warned them that when they disobeyed I would eventually scatter them from the land. I would disown them and make them desolate to show them that I am the Lord (vs 23-26).
  • Once they were in the land, your fathers blasphemed Me by worshiping all kinds of idols and even sacrificing their sons to these pagan gods (vs 27-29).
  • And now, you, you who are in exile because of idolatry, continue to worship idols. You live as the Babylonians rather than as I have commanded. You are just like your fathers, and I will not listen to you (vs 30-32).
Then God told them of a future time when He would be king over the nation of Israel. He will cleanse and purge them until the day when they will no longer serve idols but will listen to the Lord. All of Israel will serve the Lord, and the Lord will accept them. He will gather them from where they have been scattered, and they will truly understand that He is the Lord. Then they will truly repent and understand that God has dealt with them for His own name's sake. (vs 33-44)

The end of this chapter goes along with chapter 21, so we'll cover it tomorrow.

REFLECTION
God wants us to understand that He does what He does for the sake of His own name. Just like the Israelites, we often think God makes decisions and does what He does for our sakes. We humans have the tendency to think that the world revolves around us, don't we? But God is sovereign over all and is determined to show us that He is the LORD!

APPLICATION
As you go through your day today, talk to God about the decisions you make and the things you do. What are you doing that demonstrates your understanding that God is the Lord, and what are you doing that demonstrates your own self-centered view of life?

PRAYER
Lord God, you are truly Lord. You are the one true God and you really rule over all. Help me to shift the focus of my heart and mind away from myself and onto you. Your name will be exalted. May I be one who willingly exalts you with all my heart. Amen.

No comments: