Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Psalm 118 - Thanksgiving and Trust

LINK: Psalm 118

BACKGROUND


This is part of a group of Hallel songs (Psalms 113-118). These songs were sung at the three "great" festivals of Israel when every male was to come to Jerusalem (Deuteronomy 16:16). Those three festivals were Passover, Pentecost, and the Feast of Tabernacles. They were also sung on other holy days. Psalms 113-114 were sung before the Passover meal, and Psalms 115-118 were sung afterward. 

Some speculate that it was written for the Feast of Tabernacles and maybe for the first celebration after the exiles had returned from their captivity. The fact that he talks about the "cornerstone" may relate to the rebuilding of the temple that was going on at that time. Also, he talks of how God has reestablished His nation and triumphed over other nations.


It is a song of praise to God for his loyal, eternal love. It is a song of thanksgiving and confidence in our God. 


If you are following the Bible Book Club schedule, it is perfect for the American readers who are heading into the Thanksgiving holiday!


The Scarlet Thread of Redemption

Jesus referred to Psalm 118:22 when He spoke about being rejected by His own people (Matthew 21:42; Mark 12:10; Luke 20:17). Jesus was rejected but he became the cornerstone of the church (Acts 4:11; Ephesians 2:20; 1 Peter 2:6, 7). The cornerstone could be the foundation stone or a stone which crowns a building.  Jesus is both the foundation on which the church is built, and He is the capstone that crowns the church! 


The crowds shouted lines from Psalm 118:26 when Jesus entered Jerusalem at the beginning of the Passion Week, "Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord" (Matthew 21:9). 


Jesus is also the Light God has made to shine upon us (118:27).  


REFLECTION 


Did you know that the middle verse of the Bible is found in this Psalm!


Psalm 118:8 says, "It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in man."


I remember having a terrible couple of years in college as I struggled to make Jesus my Lord. I had been trusting in someone who turned out to be very deceitful and unkind. I was devastated and depressed.


I went to babysit, and after I had tucked the kids in bed, I opened my Bible to the very center! (2023 Update: I just took a walk with the wife of one of those kids I tucked in bed! LOL!)


God spoke directly to the center of my heart through this verse that He was the only one I could trust 100% for everything. I gave it all to Him, and He has not let me down. I cling to this verse to this day. 


What a great verse to be at the heart of the Bible!  Trusting in Him is the key to everything!


APPLICATION 


Who or what are you trusting in?


PRAYER


Lord, You are the better choice when it comes to trust. Help us to put our lives in Your hands. Amen. 


Also, could you pray for one of those kids I tucked in bed that night? She is a grown woman now and has cancer. (2023 Update: She survived!)

1 comment:

Carol Ann Weaver said...

This is another GOLDEN MEMORY for me! So wonderful to remember when God spoke to me when I was 20 or 21 years old about trusting in Him!