Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Introduction to the Epistles: "Paul by the Pool" Anyone?

If you are following the Bible Book Club reading schedule, we will be soaking deeply in the Pauline epistles during the sunnier days from May 1 - August 16. So, break out water or sweet tea and read "Paul by the Pool" or some great outdoor venue! We will read the general epistles written by other authors at the end of the summer and early fall from August 17 - October 3. (But you don't have to read according to this schedule at all!)

Overview of the Two Kinds of Epistles

Pauline Epistles


Paul wrote his 13 letters beginning with Romans and ending with Philemon. The first nine letters were written to seven churches that Paul had either founded or taken a personal interest in while on his missionary journeys. Here is a map of the location of these churches:


The Travel Areas of the Acts of the Apostles; also where Paul Sent his Letters
(city names in "stamped envelopes", the one province "unstamped")
Used by Permission: 
 http://www.ccel.org/bible/phillips/JBPhillips.htm

Following the letters to the churches, Paul wrote two letters (one in two parts) to encourage two pastors, Timothy in Ephesus and Titus in Crete. These are referred to as the "Pastoral Epistles." Then he wrote one letter to appeal to a coworker, Philemon, to forgive his wayward servant. 

General Epistles


We are not sure who wrote the letter to the Hebrews, but the remaining epistles are titled after their authors: James, Peter, John, and Jude.


While we often read things semi-chronologically in the Bible Book Club, I did not want to break up the fast-paced narrative of Acts (but gave you the option to read the epistles that occurred during the book of Acts.)  Chronologies vary but here is a proposed timeline for where the epistles fit in the events in Acts and beyond:
I have been studying the epistles deeply since 1978 when I did my first inductive Bible Study in 3 John (because I thought I should start with a short book). I have never stopped learning and growing into deeper intimacy with God every time I study. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Carol Ann Weaver said...

I have not been in the Epistles in quite a while! That is where I spent most of my time in college and 20s.

Carol Ann Weaver said...

Oh, I guess I spent a lot of time with them when I did Precept Studies too. I did some while in Malaysia and a lot in my 40s too. (Along with John)