Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Day 10: For Unto Us a Child is Born - Scene 3 (12)

HEART HEARING


12. Chorus

For unto us a child is born, unto us a Son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, the mighty God, the everlasting Father, the Prince of Peace. (Isaiah 9:6)


MIND MEDITATION

Isaiah 9:6 declares both the humanity (“A Child is born”) and the deity (“A Son is given”) of the Lord Jesus Christ. The prophet then leaps ahead to the Kingdom Age when Messiah will reign in righteousness and justice from David’s throne. God had promised David that his dynasty and throne would be established forever (2 Sam. 7:16); and this is fulfilled literally in Jesus Christ (Luke 1:32–33; Zech. 9:9), who will one day reign from Jerusalem (Isa. 11:1–5; Jer. 23:5–8; 30:8–10). This kingdom is called “the Millennium,” which means “one thousand years."
If His name is "Wonderful," then there will be nothing dull about His reign! As Counselor, He has the wisdom to rule justly; and as the Mighty God, He has the power to execute His wise plans. "Everlasting Father" does not suggest that the Son is also the Father, for each Person in the Godhead is distinct. "Father of Eternity" is a better translation. Among the Jews, the word "father" means "originator" or "source." For example, Satan is the "father [originator] of lies" (John 8:44, NIV). If want anything eternal, you must get it from Jesus Christ; He is the "Father of eternity."  (Be Comforted. p. 36–37)
Here is a wonderful meditation on this passage from the God in All Things website:


SOUL SEARCHING

I have been slowly going through each of these characteristics describing Jesus in Isaiah 9:6. He is the Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, and Originator of eternal life. I am thanking Him for playing each of these roles in my life. It is so rich to just slowly marinate this in my soul. I suggest you do it too! 

As I have marinated on Jesus being the Originator of eternal life, I am reminded of this verse:

In Him was life, 
and the life was the Light of men. 
The Light shines in the darkness, 
and the darkness did not comprehend it.
(John 1:4-5)

The light that came into the darkness was the virgin's child, Emmanuel, God with us, who brings life!  Can you fully comprehend this? The chorus speaks for itself. The music is full of joy and celebration. Won't you celebrate as you let this sink deeply into your soul? 

STRENGTH STRETCHING


What is your "I will" statement?


Instead of rushing into an "I will" statement, I like to sit at His feet and have a time of waiting and listening. I call it my "listen and obey" time. I sit with pen and paper in hand and ask God what He would have me do with what I just learned about Him. He is usually very faithful to tell me what to do. 

If this concept seems strange to you, I would like to recommend you read the book God Guides by Mary Geegh. It will be a great Christmas gift to yourself, and you may want to give it to others once you read it! 

You may also want to listen to the meditation from the God in All Things podcast above. It is beautiful. 

My "I will" is going to be pure, unadulterated praise. Praising Him for each of His characteristics mentioned in this passage. I am shutting down my computer and am going to dance too!  Amazing!


1 comment:

Carol Ann Weaver said...

Unto us a child is born!