Sunday, October 19, 2008

Proverbs 12 - Wise Words

LINK: Proverbs 12

REFLECTION/APPLICATION

One great way to learn from Proverbs is to group verses topically. Today I’d like to look at what Proverbs 11 – 12 have to say about our words, our speech. Yesterday we looked at the broader meaning – how to delight the Lord – and you can continue looking for ways in this chapter as well. But Proverbs is full of advice on all sorts of specific topics, and several hit me as I read. I picked the topic “words” to write about here, but I also digested the advice on using money and material goods, on attitudes about work, and on women.

Words

With {his} mouth the godless man destroys his neighbor, but through knowledge the righteous will be delivered. (11:9)

He who despises his neighbor lacks sense, but a man of understanding keeps silent. He who goes about as a talebearer reveals secrets, But he who is trustworthy conceals a matter. (11: 12-13)

The words of the wicked lie in wait for blood, but the mouth of the upright will deliver them. (12:6)

A man will be satisfied with good by the fruit of his words, and the deeds of a man's hands will return to him. (12:14)

There is one who speaks rashly like the thrusts of a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing. (12: 18)

Truthful lips will be established forever, but a lying tongue is only for a moment. (12: 19)

Deceit is in the heart of those who devise evil, but counselors of peace have joy. (12:20)

Lying lips are an abomination to the LORD, but those who deal faithfully are His delight. (12: 22)

A prudent man conceals knowledge, but the heart of fools proclaims folly. (12: 23)

So what characterizes the wise person’s use of words – her speech?

She doesn’t use them lightly or speak of what she doesn’t know (11:9) and in the end her honesty and sincere speech will deliver her from the harm others may try to do to her (11:9 and 12:6). She doesn’t spread stories about other people. She’s not a gossip. She is trustworthy with what has been told her and can keep a secret (11:12-13; 12: 23). She seeks to heal and not wound with her words (12: 18, 20) . She is honest and truthful (12: 19, 20, 22). I love how 12:22 equates truthful words with dealing faithfully. Think about that! A wise woman tries to make peace through her honest advice, not stir up wrong by shading the truth in order to manipulate and deceive others (12:20). When she speaks wise words (true and healing and kind and peaceful words) she will be satisfied with the good results of those words (12:14) – her words can bear good fruit! The wise woman thinks before she speaks – doesn’t speak rashly (12:18, 23).

If a woman speaks wisely she will have joy and peace and be satisfied! Her truthful speech (integrity) will stand her in good stead in times of persecution or trouble.

I noticed, too, that often the heart is mentioned with our words. What is in our hearts will be reflected in our speech. It says in James that the tongue is the hardest member to tame. Perhaps that’s because there’s a direct relationship between the heart and the mouth. That’s why we need to seek the LORD Jesus and yield to Him.

There may be other verses that can apply to our use of words, but those are the ones I saw and recorded. It hit me (tying this in with yesterday’s post) that my words can give delight to my God or they can disgust Him (12:22). I do want to delight God!

There are other topics covered in these two chapters, as I have already mentioned. Why don’t you write down verses that deal with the same topic (like money or women or work or discipline) and paraphrase what those verses’ advice is?

PRAYER

Truly, Lord, it is hard to tame the tongue. I know that from experience. Thank you for Your death and resurrection, for your forgiveness and grace and mercy. I so often fail to reflect You in my words. Please be in charge in my heart and show me where I am not whole in yielding to You, where I lack integrity. I want my words to heal others, not hurt them. And I want to delight You! In Jesus' Name, Amen.

No comments: