Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Ecclesiastes 5 & 6 - Chasing After Wind

LINK: Ecclesiastes 5 & 6

BACKGROUND

Some commentators think this is an "interlude" in Solomon's argument, but it is a very important part of his argument! First, he wisely warned us to approach God with reverence and be ready ("to draw nigh with the desire") to hear (obey) rather than offering the sacrifice of a fool. The essence of the Old Testament ritual was obedience and not a hasty sacrifice (Remember Samuel's rebuke to Saul in 1 Samuel 15:2?) or vow. Perhaps Solomon was looking back in reflection at the end of his life at his own disobedience (see 1 Kings 11 regarding his foreign wives).

Second, he warned against corruption in government and the need for honest and organized authority. The gist of these verses can be summed up in this quote by Bishop Mandell Creighton in 1887, "Power tends to corrupt; absolute power corrupts absolutely."

Next, he covered the futility of loving money because it cannot bring satisfaction or solve your problems. "The human heart was made to be satisfied only with God" (Warren Wiersbe). Solomon argued that increased money for a person whose heart is in the wrong place only leads to increased anxiety and not increased pleasure. Also, a person cannot take it with them. He enters the world with nothing and leaves with nothing!

In Ecclesiastes 6, Solomon concluded his assertions on the meaninglessness of riches by giving some practical advice summed up by Warren Wiersbe in this way:
Nobody can truly enjoy the gifts of God apart from the God who gives the gifts. To enjoy the gifts without the Giver is idolatry, and this can never satisfy the human heart. Enjoyment without God is merely entertainment, and it doesn't satisfy. But enjoyment with God is enrichment and it brings true joy and satisfaction. (Be satisfied)

REFLECTION (written in 2009)

As I meditated on this, I recalled a conversation several years ago with a recently married man whose sole goal in life was to become a "Christian millionaire." He did not have any plans to use his money for God's glory, he just wanted to be rich. Period.

Fast forward twenty years. Even though he has tried, he did not become a millionaire. In fact, it has become quite the opposite despite his fruitless pursuit of wealth and "chasing after wind." How very sad. Sadder still that he ended up having an affair and leaving his wife. 

I want to chase after things that last into eternity and are burning on God's heart. Tonight, I spent two hours with three other people who are passionate about God's glory spreading throughout the whole earth. They are all taking the Perspectives on the World Christian Movement class! The article in the book called "Apostolic Passion" really hit us. I hope you enjoy it too!

APPLICATION

Read "Apostolic Passion" and let me know what you think!

2023 Update: The author of the article, Floyd McClung, passed away in 2021 after a five-year illness that left him incapacitated. I am so grateful for his life. Read the article, and you will understand why. 

PRAYER

Lord, we want to run hard after You and not chase after wind. Show us where we are chasing after meaningless things. Help us to know that any gift we receive in this world is material to bring You glory. We ask this in Jesus' name, Amen.

7 comments:

Katrina said...

Carol, "Apostolic Passion" is a powerful article. I saved it so I can go back and read it again more carefully. Thanks for including it in your post. ~Katrina

Carol Ann Weaver said...

Isn't it though? I loved it, and it generated much discussion in our Perspectives Study group on Tuesday night. It was not included in the Perspectives book when I took the class 21 years ago. What a great edition. When I was writing the post, I thought it would be perfect, and I was delighted to see that it was online and available for all to read! Thanks for reading it. I would love to discuss it here. What hit you in it?

Katrina said...

Carol, I would love to discuss this article further with you and anyone else who wants to join in. Here's what I'm thinking so far . . .

Are *all* believers apostles, or is that a special calling of a select few believers?

Is being an apostle the same as being a witness?

What hit me in this article is my lack of passion! I think I need to wrestle with God on the "passion" part, and I need a clearer understanding of the "apostle" part.

I'm hoping you can help me clarify. :)

Carol Ann Weaver said...

I don't think he is talking about the office of apostle or gift of apostleship. He is talking about "Passion like the Apostles," and I think that is for all of us.

"'Apostolic Passion" therefore, is a deliberate, intentional
choice to live for the worship of Jesus in the nations. It has to do with committed to the point of death to spreading His glory. It’s the quality of those who are on fire for Jesus, who dream of the whole earth being covered with the Glory of the Lord."

This is what was passionate on Jesus' heart while on earth.

Katrina said...

Okay, that makes sense, I think. I was getting confused with the use of the word "apostolic." He uses it both ways, but when he defines "apostolic passion" he uses the definition "sent one" for apostle. But he doesn't really tie it together well.

So, it seems to me that what he's really talking about passion -- passion for the spreading of the gospel, passion to see God worshiped all over the world. And by using Paul as an example of that passion, he adds the adjective "apostolic" to the passion.

Carol Ann Weaver said...

Yes, I think so. He's talking about passion. I would have phrased it differently. I think using the word "apostolic" might scare people away.

Carol Ann Weaver said...

Oh, that article by Floyd McClung made me think how grateful I am for him.