Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Isaiah 61 & 62 - "Get Ready 'Cause Here He Comes"

LINK: Isaiah 61 & 62

BACKGROUND


The Scarlet Thread of Redemption

Isaiah 61 - The Coming of the Messiah

We know that the "me" at the beginning of the chapter is the Messiah. The Hebrew word for Messiah means "the Anointed One," and Christ is the Greek equivalent of this Hebrew word (christos is from the root word chriō, "to anoint"). Isaiah 61:1-2a was read by Jesus in Luke 4:18-19 about Himself.

The mission of the Messiah is clearly stated in these first three verses. Jesus stopped at the first part of 61:2, but 61:2b-3 will be carried out at the second coming of Jesus Christ when He returns to bring judgment on unbelievers (Micah 5:15; Revelation 19:15-20) but comfort, rebuilding, salvation, righteousness, and blessing to Israel.

Isaiah 62 - Preparing for His Coming

In turn, God will cause Israel's righteousness to be known by other nations (61:11; 62:1-2) which is what He wanted for Israel all along! Jerusalem will be given a new name with a new righteous character. In the ancient Near East, names often signified one's anticipated or present character. This name will go from meaning "forsaken/deserted" and "desolate" to "My delight is in her" and "married one." The new relationship between God and Israel will be like a very happy marriage!

The "watchmen" of the ancient world were stationed on city walls to watch for approaching enemies. Righteous Israelites were to pray unceasingly for God's future peace and blessing for them (62:7; Psalm 122:6)! They were to prepare themselves spiritually for His coming (see Isaiah 40:1-11 and Isaiah 62).

REFLECTION - "Get Ready 'Cause Here I Come"

This song by The Temptations kept going through my mind as I was thinking about the Lord coming again, and my preparation for Him. I know it is a secular song, and I hope it doesn't offend anyone. The secular song sings of human love, but Jesus brings true love, and He is pursuing you!

Imagine Him singing it to you:
And I'm bringing you a love that's true
So get ready, so get ready.
I'm gonna try to make you love me too
So get ready, so get ready 'cause here I come
(Get ready 'cause here I come) I'm on my way
(Get ready 'cause here I come)

If you wanna play hide and seek with love, let me remind you
It's alright
But the lovin' you're gonna miss in the time it takes to find you
It's outta sight

So fiddle-lee-dee, fiddle-lee-dum
Look out baby, 'cause here I come. 

And I'm bringing you a love that's true
So get ready, so get ready
I'm gonna try to make you love me too.
So get ready, so get ready 'cause here I come
(Get ready 'cause here I come) I'm on my way
(Get ready 'cause here I come)
APPLICATION

Get ready because He is going to come! 

Here are two ways we can prepare:
  1. Prayer - Are you praying like a "watchman" on the wall and claiming God's promises? Jesus instructed us to pray, "Your kingdom come, Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven" (Matthew 6:10). We are also instructed to pray for the peace of Jerusalem (Psalm 122:6).
  2. Living as a "chosen people" (Exodus 19:5; 1 Peter 2:9) and a bride preparing for the bridegroom (Isaiah 62:5; Revelation 19:7).
God desires that we live lifestyles that are tantalizingly different from the world. It does not mean we have to be weird but different. We should "live lives that demand an explanation" and give a "sweet aroma" to those around us (1 Peter 3:15; 2 Corinthians 2:14). How do you smell lately?

I recently shot photos of a bride preparing for her wedding ceremony. She took great care to be ready for her bridegroom. She smelled nice. She looked beautiful; but most importantly, she presented herself in purity to her bridegroom (which in today's culture is "tantalizingly different"!).

Are you preparing for your bridegroom by letting the Spirit work through you to live a righteous and holy life? See Galatians 5:19-23 as a description of things to avoid as well as fruit to cultivate.


PRAYER

Lord, we are Your bride. We ask Your Holy Spirit to teach us how to prepare the way for You by living righteous and holy lives before You. We ask this because of the holy and righteous life of Jesus Christ. Amen.

1 comment:

Carol Ann Weaver said...

That beautiful bride now has FOUR children, and she is still beautiful, inside and out! (I have known her since she was a baby.)

I so enjoyed rocking out to The Temptations this morning! :)