Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Isaiah 63 & 64 - Judah's Penitent Prayer

LINK: Isaiah 63 & 64  

BACKGROUND

Isaiah 63:1-6 speaks of a day of judgment coming when the blood of the enemies of God's people will stain God's garments as He rides forward to deliver Israel. Edom was a constant enemy of Israel even though they had a common ancestry in Isaac (Genesis 25:23). Bozrah is a city in Edom in southern modern-day Jordan (see Amos 1:11, 12; Obadiah 10, 11; Malachi 1:2-4).

Isaiah 63:7-64:12 is the prayer of the Jewish remnant in Babylon who were hopeless but remembered God's goodness and kindness from times past, especially the Exodus and parting of the Red Sea to save them from the Egyptian pursuers. 

This remnant begged God to remember them in the same way He remembered them in Egypt. They begged for tenderness and compassion and the punishment of their enemies. They implored Him, "make Your name known to your enemies" (64:2). They would acknowledge their sin and lack of prayer (64:5-7). Then, they would wait (64:4) and trust (64:8-12). 

REFLECTION (written in 2009)

One of my biggest weaknesses is forgetting to pray and wait. I will often get ahead of God and "make things happen" or get really anxious about things. I have something I am anxious about today. As I read Isaiah 64:7a, "No one calls on your name or strives to lay hold of you," I thought of the words I read by Thomas Aquinas earlier in the morning:
But if we consider the actual petition, then we do offer something to God when we pray. For the very act of petitioning is an act of subjection; it is an acknowledgment of God's power. And the proof of this is that proud men would prefer to submit to want rather than humble themselves by asking anything of others. Further, the petitioner, by the very fact that he petitions, acknowledges that he whom he petitions has the power to assist him, and is merciful, or just, or provident; it is for this reason that he hopes to be heard. Hence petition or prayer is regarded as an act of the virtue of religion, the object of which is to give honour to God. For we honour God by asking things of Him, and this by so much the more as--whether from our manner of asking or from the nature of what we ask for--we acknowledge Him to be above all things, to be our Creator, our Provider, our Redeemer, etc. (On Prayer and the Contemplative Life, p. 35.)
What I see in this section of Scripture is that Israel was not too proud to beg God. They acknowledged His power in the past, and they hoped He would display that power again. 

It is good to remember that we honor God by our asking. 

2014 Update: Huge growth in this area. I am not so sure I struggle with forgetting to wait anymore. It is so fun to read these old entries and see that God is growing me! I do not even remember what I was anxious about that day.

2023 Update: I don't have a lot of anxiety anymore either. I have learned so much about balance and saying, "No" when God tells me to say it. I'm more comfortable with possibly disappointing people. Growth! Three things have helped me to grow in this area:

Immanuel Journaling - I explained it in the Isaiah 41 post.

Walking

St. Augustine once said, "Solivitur Ambulando" (things are solved by walking). Integrating my body into what is swirling in my mind helps me work through things in prayer to God. (There is brain science to back that up too.)

In the walking, I often stop at a labyrinth at the top of the "hospital hill" less than a mile from my house. This labyrinth was an Eagle Scout Service Project. He designed it to have healing plants along the route. I love it because I go there to walk things out with God and receive His healing. 
I walk in and 
Release the negative emotions, sin, burden, etc.

I walk in a circle when I reach the center and
Receive whatever God wants to say to me.

I walk out and 
Return Resolved to walk in what He told me.  

The Healing Labyrinth - I need to get a picture 
in June when it is in full bloom!
APPLICATION 

How can you honor God by your asking today?

Is it time for a walk? As these days get longer, part of your morning time with God can be walking and processing with the Lord.

PRAYER

Lord, I ask You for that special unspoken request I have today. Amen. 

1 comment:

Carol Ann Weaver said...

I am going to go for a walk up to the labyrinth! It is a beautiful day. No anxiety or thing I am burdened with, but it will be nice!