Monday, August 9, 2010

2 Timothy 1 - I Know whom I have Believed

by Katrina

LINK: 2 Timothy 1

BACKGROUND
Book Introduction
You'll remember that at the end of the book of Acts, Paul was under house arrest in Rome. Most likely he was freed from that imprisonment and traveled some more. He visited Ephesus and left Timothy there, then traveled on to Greece. While in Greece, he probably wrote the first letter to Timothy. He left Titus in Crete, and soon wrote him a letter. He went on to Troas where he was arrested and taken to Rome again. While in prison in Rome, Paul wrote this second letter to Timothy. At this time, Nero was emperor, and according to tradition Paul was executed under Nero west of Rome on the Ostian Way.

Chapter 1
Paul reflected on his very close relationship with Timothy, his "beloved son." He constantly prayed for Timothy and longed to see him again.

Paul encouraged Timothy not to be ashamed of his faith or of the suffering that often comes along with that faith. The worst thing man could do was to kill the body, but Jesus "abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel." So the result of death would be life.

Paul also encouraged Timothy to keep to the true teaching of the gospel. I love how he worded the, "Guard through the Holy Spirit who dwells in us, the treasure which has been entrusted to you." The gospel message is truly a treasure!

REFLECTION
When we face difficulties in this life, we can say, like Paul, "I know whom I have believed and am convinced that He is able to guard what I have entrusted to Him until that day."

There's a great hymn based on this verse. Here are the lyrics:

I know not why God’s wondrous grace
To me He hath made known,
Nor why, unworthy, Christ in love
Redeemed me for His own.

Refrain
But I know Whom I have believèd,
And am persuaded that He is able
To keep that which I’ve committed
Unto Him against that day.

I know not how this saving faith
To me He did impart,
Nor how believing in His Word
Wrought peace within my heart.

Refrain

I know not how the Spirit moves,
Convincing us of sin,
Revealing Jesus through the Word,
Creating faith in Him.

Refrain

I know not what of good or ill
May be reserved for me,
Of weary ways or golden days,
Before His face I see.

Refrain

I know not when my Lord may come,
At night or noonday fair,
Nor if I walk the vale with Him,
Or meet Him in the air.

Refrain

APPLICATION
Do you know, really know, the God who gives you salvation?
Do you believe, really believe, that God will guard you and your salvation?

PRAYER
Lord, you reveal so much of yourself to us in your word. May we "soak" in it and really get to know our Savior and come to fully trust you. Amen.

1 comment:

Dancingirl said...

Love that hymn! Thanks, Katrina. Great post!