Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Philippians 4 - Exhortations in Excellence

LINK: Philippians 4 (Memorize 4:6-7)


BACKGROUND


In this closing chapter, Paul gave the Philippians several "charges":


1) Stand firm in the Lord
2) Live in harmony in the Lord
3) Rejoice in the Lord always
4) Let your gentle spirit be known to all men
5) Be anxious for nothing, but in everything pray
6) Think about good and excellent things
7) Practice what you saw in Paul


Then, he told them that even though he was content in all things and could do all thing (including living in poverty and wealth) through Christ who strengthened him, he was grateful for their concern for him because of their financial gift sent to them via Epaphroditus.  He also knew that God would bless them for their generosity. 


Then, he concluded by giving final greetings to the Philippians from himself, his fellow workers, and from other believers. 


REFLECTION


As I type this, I am feeling anxious because people are calling and asking when and where we are having Jesus Community tonight. I have another commitment, and I have no idea what my husband has decided. I have no idea where he is, and he should have been home 20 minutes ago. I am a bit anxious, but I applied what I learned from this chapter. I am praying and not allowing myself to be anxious. Sometimes I take on more than I need to, and I need to just let it go. (I am a "J" on the Myers-Briggs Personality Type Indicator and "J's" tend to take on more responsibility than they should.)


So, I prayed and let it go, and here he comes in the door this very minute! He is on the phone with the people who have been calling, and I can finish my post before I go off to my other engagement!


APPLICATION 


What of all the exhortations in this chapter can you apply to your life right now?


Philippians 4:6,7 is in the Topical Memory System and very important for memorization!


PRAYER


Lord, teach us not to worry about anything but to pray about everything! Thank You for giving me peace in the midst of some stress this evening. May we all learn to come to You first in these time. Amen. 
Post a Comment