Thursday, February 7, 2008

Day 38 Joseph's Brothers Bow Before Him

READING: Genesis 42


BACKGROUND:

I think the beginning of this chapter is rather humorous. Here these men sit around looking at one another, wondering what they're going to do as the food runs out, when their father pipes up and says, "Quit staring at each other! There's grain in Egypt. Go get some!" Well, they get off their duffs and head down to Egypt to purchase grain there. (Katrina's paraphrase)

Meanwhile, in Egypt . . . . At the end of the seven years of plenty, Joseph was 37 years old and had been in Egypt for 20 years. A little while into the famine, his ten older brothers show up. Jacob was careful not to send Benjamin on the journey, since he has become the main object of his affection in place of Joseph. As soon as the brothers approach Joseph, he knows who they are. But they have no clue they are bowing down before their brother to ask to purchase grain. This is the fulfillment of Joseph's dream of the sheaves bowing down (Gen 37:7-10).

Then Joseph antagonizes them, probably trying to get information from them without revealing who he is. He had to be wondering if his father was still alive and if they had treated Benjamin badly as well. I'm sure he was relieved to hear that his father and Benjamin were both still alive and well. He was probably trying to determine if their hearts were softened as well.

Joseph is outwardly quite harsh with them, but in his heart is very kind and generous toward his brothers. On the one hand he speaks roughly to them, accuses them of being spies, throws them all into prison for three days, binds Simeon, and makes them leave him "hostage" In Egypt while they return home for the youngest brother (a task they know will greatly distress their father). But on the other hand, he gives them sacks of grain for free, by returning their money in their sacks, and also sends them home with provisions for the journey. He does want to preserve his family.

A very significant part of this chapter is verses 22-23. These men have very guilty consciences! They make the connection between the way Joseph is treating them now and the way they treated Joseph 20 years before! Even thought they don't know it's Joseph! They are sure they are now facing the consequences for their sin against their brother. God leaves no doubt in their minds. And when they discover the money in their sacks (verses 28 & 35), they are even more terrified of God.

In the end (of this chapter), Reuben assures his father that he will take full responsibility of Benjamin's safety on the return trip to Egypt. He offers the lives of his two sons as a pledge. Of course, it would not really be a comfort to Jacob to lose two of his grandchildren, either. The bottom line here is that Jacob does not trust his sons. Very sad!

REFLECTION:

Joseph could have been cruel to his brothers, but instead chose to lavish kindness on them.

He could have charged them right then and there with their crimes against him, but instead allowed God to convict their hearts.

"He (Joseph) clapped them all up in prison for three days, v. 17. Thus God deals with the souls he designs for special comfort and honour; he first humbles them, and terrifies them, and brings them under a spirit of bondage, and then binds up their wounds by the Spirit of adoption." (Matthew Henry Commentary)

He had every "right" to be bitter and angry with his brothers, but had obviously already chosen to forgive them, and he wept when his brothers confessed their sin in front of him.

Joseph also sees the "big picture" here. He knows that if his brothers had not sold him into slavery, he would not have been there to preserve so many people during the famine.

APPLICATION:

Am I like Joseph? Do I show kindness to those who are mean to me? Do I allow God to work in people's hearts, rather than thinking that I need to point out all their faults to them? Do I put my rights aside for the benefit of others? Do I forgive those who are against me? Do I see the big picture of God's hand at work?

PRAYER:

Father, it's your kindness that leads me to repentance. You are the perfect example! Teach me to be kind to others, even those who are not kind to me. Teach me to allow your Holy Spirit to work in the hearts of others, just as you work in my heart. Let me learn to forgive others as you have forgiven me. You are a God who changes hearts. Let me see you at work in my heart, in the hearts of those I love, and in the community and world around me. In the name of Jesus, amen.

5 comments:

BlessingintheBattle said...

I stumbled onto this blog...can I join in?

Carol Ann Weaver said...

YOU BET! We would love to have you join in. :)

I left a note on your blog too.

Carol Ann Weaver said...

Thanks so much Katrina. I had an experience recently where I had to show kindness even when someone was rather rash. It was neat to spend yesterday just praying for the person and finding that God HAD worked in their heart, and they called me and apologized! So, your meditation was perfectly timed!

BlessingintheBattle said...

Okay, so my blog was wrong, Carol...I am not from Afganistan! I never noticed that that was wrong before...so, I just changed it! I am really sorry!

Carol Ann Weaver said...

I wondered about that when I saw the picture of your home, and I thought, "Boy, I don't know if they would build homes like that in Afghanistan!" LOL!

No problem. You can still be here!