Monday, April 28, 2008

Day 118: Psalm 26

READING: Psalm 26


BACKGROUND

We read last week, in Psalm 25, David’s humble prayer that God would forgive his iniquity and guide and teach him. He asked, “May integrity and uprightness protect me, because my hope is in You.” (NIV) In this chapter David asks God to examine him, to see if that prayer was answered. He asserts his integrity, an integrity not based on his own merit, but on God’s mercy and help.

Some commentators believe that David was asking for God’s vindication or judgment here because he was being falsely accused and slandered.

REFLECTION

Do you hear the echoes of Psalm 1 here? “I do not sit with deceitful men, nor will I go with pretenders. I hate the assembly of evildoers, and I will not sit with the wicked.” (vv. 4-5).

What does David focus on, look at? God’s love. (v. 3) What guides David? God’s truth. (v. 3) What does David talk about? What God has done! (v. 7) Where does David love to be? Near God in His house. (v. 8) David sums it up in v. 11: “ But as for me, I shall walk in my integrity; redeem me, and be gracious to me.” Even as he continues to follow God with his whole heart he asks for God’s grace and redemption.

“Faith is the root and sap of integrity. He who leans upon the Lord is sure to walk in righteousness. … Faith trusts God to accomplish his own decrees. Why should I steal when God has promised to supply my need? Why should I avenge myself when I know that the Lord has espoused my cause? Confidence in God is a most effectual security against sin. Therefore I shall not slide.” Spurgeon

PRAYER

Test me, O LORD, and try me, examine my heart and my mind. May Your love be ever before me and may I continually live in Your truth. As I walk before you with a heart and mind yielded to You, please show me grace and mercy.

No comments: