Thursday, April 3, 2008

Day 94: Leviticus 9

Priestly Service Begins

SCRIPTURE: Leviticus 9

SUMMARY:
After being consecrated and spending a week at the doorway of the tent of meeting, Aaron and his sons began their duties as priests. There was a series of offerings to present to God first:

  1. Aaron offered a sin offering for himself (vs. 8-11) to atone for his own sins against God.
  2. Aaron offered a burnt offering for himself (vs. 12-14) to offer himself as a sacrifice to God.
  3. Then he presented a sin offering for the people (vs. 15) as atonement for their sins.
  4. Then a burnt offering for the people (vs. 16), dedicating them to God.
  5. Then a grain offering for the people (vs. 17), for recognizing God's provision of sustenance.
  6. And a peace offering for the people (vs. 18-21) to have communion with God.
These sacrifices had to be made in order to establish relationship with God. Atonement had to come first, before there could be communion.

Then Moses and Aaron came out and blessed the people. The glory of the LORD appeared to all the people, and fire came from the LORD to consume the burnt offering.

REFLECTION:
After this series of sacrifices, the people are blessed, truly blessed. Atonement has been made for their sins. For the first time. Ever. These people had lived among the Egyptians, where they didn't really know the LORD. Now they have seen Him work wondrous miracles, "pass over" them, lead them through a sea, take them to a mountain, and explain His holy standards to them -- not only through written law, but also through the visual and experiential illustrations of the tabernacle.

At this point, I think I would have been overwhelmed with my sinfulness and with God's holiness! What an incredible experience to see Aaron walk out and realize atonement had been made for that sin! My sins are covered. Payment has been made. I am dedicated to God. He provides for me. And I can commune with Him. WOW!!

PRAYER:
LORD, you require perfect holiness, which I cannot attain. Yet you made provision for my sin. Through the blood of Jesus, my sins are atoned for, once for all. You are an amazing God!! I am yours, LORD. Let me live in communion with You, serving You always. Because of Jesus, Amen.

4 comments:

Carrie said...

I like the way this whole review of this chapter was word -- like a grand performance that culminated with the complete forgiveness of sins. It's the best picture ever! Thanks for taking the time to paint this picture.

Dancingirl said...

Wow! is right.

AMEN!

Rachel said...

BANG--that's the sound of me finally getting something that's bugged me for a long time. I never really got what the burnt sacrifice was all about or what it signified or was supposed to accomplish distinct from the other sacrifices. But now, thanks to this, I realize it's an offering up of the SELF to God, a way of saying "I belong to you." Cool!

Thanks so much for turning that light on for me. :-)

Carol Ann Weaver said...

The anticipation must have been wonderful. Moses said to Aaron, his sons, and the elders of Israel that "today the LORD will appear to you." Then He said to the entire assembly, "This is what the LORD has commanded you to do, so that the glory of the LORD may appear to you." WOW!

The chapter culminates when Moses and Aaron come out of the tent of meeting when the people are blessed that "the glory of the LORD appeared to all the people. Fire came out from the presence of the LORD and consumed the burnt offering and fat portions.

The people saw it and shouted for joy and fell facedown.

I see in this chapter that God wanted to manifest His presence to the people. He wants us to see His glory in our everyday life. Chirst has paid the penalty so that I might have nearness to God, but I must continue to offer ALL of me in humble, living and holy sacrifice.

Love this chapter. I gives me chills.

It makes the next chapter so painful.