Monday, April 7, 2008

Day 98: Psalm 22

READING: Psalm 22

BACKGROUND

This psalm is one I’ve turned to when I’m in despair, when I don’t sense God’s presence, when I don’t get any response from Him. I am so thankful that the Psalms include ones like this – where I can experience the community of grief, so that I don’t have to think that there’s something wrong with me when I go through those times of fogginess and darkness and loneliness.

This psalm is also what’s called a Messianic psalm. It foreshadows what actually happened to Jesus at his death. Turn to the account of Jesus’ crucifixion in Matthew 27: 27 – 56. Compare the following passages:

Psalm 22: 7 9 (NIV) “All who see me mock me;/ they hurl insults, shaking their heads!/ ‘He trusts in the LORD;/ let the LORD rescue him./ Let him deliver him,/ since he delights in him.’ "

with

Matthew 27: 41 - 44 (NIV) “In the same way the chief priests, the teachers of the law and the elders mocked him. ‘He saved others,’ they said, ‘but he can’t save himeslf! He’s the King of Israel! Let him come down now from the cross, and we will believe in him. He trusts in God. Let God rescue him now if he wants him….”

And these:

Psalm 22: 18 (NIV) “They divide my garments among them and cast lots for my clothing.

with

Matthew: 27: 35 (NIV) “ When they had crucified him, they divided up his clothes by casting lots.

And

Psalm 22: 1 (NIV) “My God, my God why have you forsaken me?”

with this

Matthew 27: 46 (NIV) “About the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, ‘Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?’ – which means, ‘My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?’”

Jesus experienced the absence of God, His Father. He knew, more than any of us ever will, what it meant to be mocked and ridiculed, what it meant to be alone and in anguish of heart.

Compare this psalm, especially vv. 1; 6 – 9; 12 – 18 with the accounts in the Gospels of Jesus’ death.

REFLECTION

Look at the cycle of this psalm with me.

David begins in vv. 1- 2 with an anguished cry to God: “Where are you? Why have you left me? Why don’t you answer me? I’m calling and calling, but I get nothing from you.” (Becky’s paraphrase!)

Have you been there? I have.

Next David says this (vv. 3 – 5): “YET You are Holy God; You are the whole focus of the praise of our people – I KNOW you have helped your people in the past – when they cried you delivered them; I remember that.” (That was my paraphrase, too.)

David stops in the midst of his despair and focuses on God – who He is and what He’s done. He may not remember at this point what God’s done for him in the past, but he knows the stories of what God has done for His people. He CAN recall that.

Then, in vv. 6 – 8: “Where’s all the strength I’m supposed to have? I feel helpless, just like a worm, not like someone who trusts in you. Everyone is looking at me and mocking me because I’m not experiencing Your help, God. What kind of message is that?” (Becky’s paraphrase still.)

He answers himself (vv. 9 – 11): “BUT You are the one who gave me life; from my birth you have given me trust in you. Please come help – there’s no one else who can!” (My paraphrase)

Look at verses 12 – 18. In them, David cycles back into focusing on the strength of his enemies; those who are troubling him. He puts into words how he’s feeling, what despair looks like. He has no strength.

BUT! Then he stops those thoughts and turns to God. “But YOU, O LORD…” (v. 19) Again he prays, “O my Strength, come quickly to help me.” (NIV) He remembers that he doesn’t have to be strong. God is his strength. (Hey! It doesn’t depend on ME!... Jesus’ yoke is easy.)

From here on the psalm is one that focuses on God. David decides that he will praise God and lift His Name up. He actually consciously decides, even before God changes his circumstances, to magnify God. (vv. 19 – 23) And God does answer him. (v. 24)

God gives David (and us!) the praise of his mouth! David’s praise is not only about God, but it is from God. (v. 25)

David ends this psalm, a psalm that began in despair and loneliness, in praise and exultation. Verses 26 – 31 speak of how God satisfies those who are poor (hear an echo of the Beatitudes here? “Bessed are the poor in spirit…”); how one day EVERYONE will bow down to God as ruler over all! This psalm ends in such a note of hope: “They will proclaim HIS righteousness to a people yet unborn – for HE has done it!” Spend some time at the end of the psalm.

David wrote this psalm, sang this psalm, without knowing that God actually came in the flesh to give us hope. That suffering Savior did defeat death. It is because of Him that we can hope. He has done it!

APPLICATION

This entry is getting way too long so I’m going to end. But I hope that each of you who reads this will take some time to really read this psalm, especially in the light of Jesus’ death and resurrection. I hope you’ll remember it with me for those times when you feel that you have no strength and that God is far from you.

PRAYER

Lord God, be close to me. You are my Strength. I will remember You when I am lonely and helpless and hopeless. I will recall Your actions in this world in the lives of your people in the past. I will declare Your praise even before I feel Your presence. I wll remember that You gave Jesus life and returned Him to Your right hand after His anguish on the cross. You alone are my HOPE!

No comments: