Monday, February 23, 2009

Ecclesiastes 11 - The Adventure of Life

LINK: Ecclesiastes 11

by Katrina

BACKGROUND
Life is an adventure! We never know what is going to happen, so here are some words of wisdom from Solomon.
  • Be bold in your business ventures (v 1), yet diversify your assets (v 2).
  • Learn to recognize the cycles and finalities in life (v 3).
  • Do not be overly cautious or fearful and thereby never accomplish anything (v 4).
  • Don't expect to understand everything that God does (v 5).
  • Work diligently (v 6).
  • Enjoy your life on this earth, especially your youth (v 7-10).
  • Pursue your dreams, but do so within the bounds of living righteously before God (v 9).

REFLECTION/APPLICATION
I do see life as an adventure, with God leading me through it. I want to experience the variety and wonders of God's creation. I enjoy going new places, meeting new people, reading new adventures, experiencing new tastes and new cultures, etc. God has given me much to enjoy in this life.

There are many ways to enjoy life -- as many ways as there are people, I suppose. So, how about you? Do you enjoy the life God has given you?

PRAYER
Father, thank you for each day you have given me here on this earth. Let me milk this life for all it's worth. I want to serve you each and every day. May I be diligent and not live in fear, trusting you to lead me and do what you will with my life. For, in reality, my life belongs to you. You have purchased it with the blood of Jesus. In his name, amen.

2 comments:

Carol Ann Weaver said...

I do! I do enjoy the life God has given me. I resonate with the last thing you wrote in the background:
"Pursue your dreams, but do so within the bounds of living righteously before God" (v 9).

God wants us to dream, but sometimes I think we think we can't pursue dreams and adventures because God that. He is a heavenly killjoy. I like to call it "dreaming with a sanctified imagination." We can dream with God!

This last verse hit me this morning:

"So, remove grief and anger from your heart and put away pain from your body, because childhood and the prime of life are fleeting."

Life is so short. No sense letting yourself be consumed by grief and anger!

Katrina said...

Ah, yes, holding on to anger, grief, resentment, etc., is such a waste of precious energy! And of course, the older we get, the more we realize just how short life really is. It is just flying by!!