Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Ecclesiastes 12 - Enjoy Life! Fear God!

LINK: Ecclesiastes 12

by Katrina

BACKGROUND
Solomon gives a vivid illustration of old age coming like a storm and breaking down the "house" (body) of the old man.
  • watchmen of the house tremble - your arms/hands tremble
  • mighty men stoop - you walk bent over
  • grinding ones stand idle because they are few - you lose your teeth
  • those who look through windows grow dim - your vision grows dim
  • doors are shut - loss of hearing
  • arise at the sound of the birds - you awaken early (even though you might not want to)
  • afraid of a high place and of terrors on the road - you fear falling
  • almond tree blossoms - your hair turns white (like the almond blossoms)
  • grasshopper drags himself along - you are impaired by crippled and bent limbs
  • caperberry is ineffective - you become sexually impotent
  • goes to his eternal home - you die
Solomon is using this illustration of old age to spur the young not only to enjoy their youth, but also remember to serve God in their youth. Old age will come quicker than you think!

REFLECTION
Solomon comes to his conclusion. He said at the beginning of the book that life, in and of itself, is meaningless. If life is going to have meaning, that meaning must come from God. "Remember God," Solomon says. Pay attention to what God says, consider his words, obey him. "Fear God and keep His commandments, because this applies to every person. For God will bring every act to judgment, everything which is hidden, whether it is good or evil" (v 13-14).

APPLICATION
Enjoy life! Fear God!

PRAYER
Lord, what a privilege it is to live this life for you! May I live my life in such a way as to honor you. In the name of Jesus, amen.


2 comments:

Carol Ann Weaver said...

I have loved this reading of Ecclesiastes. I have realized more and more as I approach 50 years this year that I don't want to waste another minute! I want to serve God FULL THROTTLE and on fire for Him. That is really the only way to live life!

Katrina said...

This reading of Ecclesiastes was meaningful to me, too! Thanks for letting me help do the posts. I think it makes a big difference for me. I am not quite approaching 50, but I know what you mean. I love being God's child and servant! :)