Saturday, February 7, 2009

Job 42 - Job's Answer to God

LINK: Job 42

by Katrina

BACKGROUND
Job knew God was right and he had sinned. His suffering was not a result of sin, but he had sinned by accusing God of being unjust and demanding an explanation from God. His sin was more in his attitude than in his action. So he answers in verses 2-6 with two points (1) God can do anything he wants to do without my permission or understanding; and (2) I was wrong to accuse God of being unjust. So Job took back (retracted) what he had said earlier and repented.

God was angry with Job's friends who had "not spoken of me what is right as my servant Job has." So, he required them to offer a sacrifice for their sin and told Job to intercede for them. They did so, and the Lord accepted their sacrifice and forgave them.

Then the Lord blessed Job with twice what he had blessed him with before Satan started his accusations. And Job lived a full and happy life for another 140 years.

As we conclude this book, I think it's important to look back at the beginning and remember what the reason for Job's suffering was in the first place. In the first two chapters of the book, Satan accused Job before God, saying that he only feared God because God blessed him and protected him. God allowed Job to suffer in order to prove that Satan was wrong. God wanted to demonstrate Job's faithfulness and righteousness. Did Job pass the test?

Job was not sinless, but that wasn't the test. He remained faithful to God, even when his wife told him to "curse God and die" (2:9). And he maintained his integrity and righteousness before God to the end. He did not turn against God but kept his faith in God even though he could not understand what God was doing. He never cursed God as Satan predicted he would (1:11). Also, God continued to call Job his servant, maintaining the relationship they had. And God even had Job serve as a priest and offer sacrifices for his friends. So, YES! Job passed the test.

REFLECTION
Through all of Job's experience of suffering and hearing from God, his relationship with the Lord was greatly deepened. He said in verse five, "I have heard of You by the hearing of the ear; but now my eye sees You." Before this point, Job knew about God, believed what he had learned about God, trusted in God. But now he has experienced God.

APPLICATION
James 5:11 says, "Behold, we count those blessed who endured. You have heard of the endurance of Job and have seen the outcome of the Lord's dealings, that the Lord is full of compassion and is merciful." Let's remember just who our God is and endure the difficulties of life without losing faith in him. Let's take these verses to heart:
Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. (James 1:2-4)
PRAYER
Father, help us to endure the difficulties of this life, because through them, we can experience your compassion and mercy. You are the Lord, the Lord God, compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in lovingkindness and truth, who keeps lovingkindness for thousands, who forgives iniquity, transgression and sin. We bow down and worship you. Amen.

(Exodus 34:6-8)

3 comments:

Carol Ann Weaver said...

Thanks for bringing us to the conclusion of Job, Katrina. My favorite verse in all of Job is:

"I have heard you with the hearing of the ear; but now my eye sees You" (Job 42:5). Sometimes, we go through suffering and pain in order for God to reveal Himself to us. So, we can really SEE Him. Some people turn the other way in that time, but Job did not.

His biggest realization was that God "can do all things, and that no purpose of [His] can be thwarted" (v. 2).

Great lessons from this great book. Thanks!
Carol

Katrina said...

I loved the final chapter! (so I was glad I got to do the post for it :) It was fun.)

I think that's my favorite verse, too, with "I know that my redeemer lives" a close 2nd. :)

I'm looking forward to your posts on Song of Solomon.

Carol Ann Weaver said...

I like "I know that my redeemer liveth" too (thinking Messiah too). I found that Union and Communion is on the web and public domain. So, I am thinking about just cutting and pasting each chapter! It is very rich but the first one is so long!

Thanks for doing it so I could be with Julie! It was a time really blessed.