Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Isaiah 55-56 - Salvation for Gentiles

by Katrina

LINK:
Isaiah 55-56

BACKGROUND
Here's an exciting passage for those of us who are not Jews. God extends an invitation to the Gentiles to experience His mercy.

Just like we need food to keep us physically alive, we need God to provide us with the nourishment that feeds our souls and makes us spiritually alive. And He offers it to anyone who is hungry and thirsty (55:1-3). God's purpose for Israel was/is/will be to draw men to Himself (55:4-5).

But the time to seek this salvation of the Lord is now. It isn't a never-ending offer (55:6). If anyone repents of his sin, God will have mercy on him and forgive him. Man may not understand God's offer of salvation, but He will speak it and His word will produce fruit (55:7-13).

The offer to come and worship God is extended to all people in chapter 56. Any foreigner (non-Jew) can join himself to the Lord and love Him. He will take them in and allow them to bring offerings and sacrifices to Him. God will accept their sacrifices and offerings and will make His temple a place of prayer for all peoples, not just the Jews. (56:1-8)

But all will not accept this offer of salvation. The "watchmen" in this passage (vs 9-12) were professional prophets. They should have been proclaiming God's word, but instead they were greedy and pursued their own desires. He rebukes them, calling them blind and dogs. They ignored their duties to watch over the well-being of the people. Instead they pursued their own desires and led the people into sin. Because of this sin, the people would go into captivity.

REFLECTION
How my heart rejoices that God offers salvation to the Gentiles! I was thirsty, and He gave me living water. I had nothing to offer in exchange for salvation, and He gave it to me freely, not requiring any payment. I called on the Lord, and He had compassion on me. He abundantly pardoned my sin. I'm so glad His ways are higher than man's ways! His word produces fruit wherever He goes. So, today, I just rejoice in the salvation God offers to the Gentiles . . . to me!

PRAYER
Father, thank you! Thank you for making salvation through Jesus available to all the world, not just the Jews. Thank you for offering it to me as a free gift. I could never pay for it anyway. You are a compassionate and forgiving God! Let me live a life worthy of the gift you have given me. In the name of Jesus, amen.

1 comment:

Carol Ann Weaver said...

Love his offer. We forget that most of us are Gentiles. Amazing. Thanks for holding down the fort so I could enjoy my weekend with friends. Today is my 19th wedding anniversary, but I have lots of time today to post because we aren't going out until tonight.