Sunday, August 16, 2009

Psalm 118 - Rejoicing TODAY in God's Mercy

by Becky


This is the last of the Psalms of the great Hallel, which the Jews sang at the end of the Passover.


LINK:
Psalm 118

BACKGROUND

This was Martin Luther’s favorite psalm!


“This is my Psalm, my chosen Psalm. I love them all; I love all holy Scripture, which is my consolation and my life. But this Psalm is nearest my heart, and I have a peculiar right to call it mine. It has saved me from many a pressing danger, from which nor emperor, nor kings, nor sages, nor saints, could have saved me. It is my friend; dearer to me than all the honours and power of the earth... But it may be objected, that this Psalm is common to all; no one has a right to call it his own. Yes; but Christ is also common to all, and yet Christ is mine. I am not jealous of my property; I would divide it with the whole world... And would to God that all men would claim the Psalm as especially theirs! It would be the most touching quarrel, the most agreeable to God -- a quarrel of union and perfect charity.” Luther. From his Dedication of his Translation of Psalm 118 to the Abbot Frederick of Nuremberg.


Notice the repetition of sentences:


His mercy endures forever! (This phrase begins and ends the psalm.)

They surrounded me.

It is better to trust in the Lord, than ­__________ . (How would you fill in that blank?)

The right hand of the LORD does valiantly!

In the name of the LORD I will destroy them.


There is no question that this psalm foreshadows Jesus!


The LORD is my strength and song,

And He has become my salvation. …

Open to me the gates of righteousness;

I will go through them,

And I will praise the LORD.

This is the gate of the LORD,

Through which the righteous shall enter.

I will praise You,

For You have answered me,

And have become my salvation.


Jesus quoted these verses about Himself in Mark 12:10, 11, and Peter quotes them about Jesus in Acts 4: 10 – 12 and 1 Peter 2:4 - 10:


The stone which the builders rejected

Has become the chief cornerstone.

This was the LORD's doing;

It is marvelous in our eyes.


REFLECTION

“The praise of God could not be expressed in fewer words than these, ‘For he is good.’ I see not what can be more solemn than this brevity, since goodness is so peculiarly the quality of God, that the Son of God himself when addressed by some one as "Good Master," by one, namely, who beholding his flesh, and comprehending not the fulness of his divine nature, considered him as man only, replied, ‘Why callest thou me good? There is none good but one, that is God.’ And what is this but to say, If you wish to call me good, recognize me as God?” ~ Augustine ~


Jesus is the fulfillment of this psalm, no question!


APPLICATION

Reread this psalm and note all that Jesus fulfills and does for us.


What “enemies” do you have? Who is your confidence in? Are you trusting in Jesus’ mercy and goodness and strength?


PRAYER

Father, we see Jesus in this psalm. Our confidence is in You. We praise Your for this day, LORD, in which we can celebrate Your mercy and goodness to us. You have made it and You are in charge of it! We rejoice in it because it is Your gift.


1 comment:

Carol Ann Weaver said...

Love the Luther and Augustine quotes! Yes, it does foreshadow Jesus, and God's goodness has been shining so much in my heart this summer. He is good and His love endures forever!!!!