Sunday, August 9, 2009

Psalms 116 & 117 - Live a Love Song to Jesus!

by Becky

These two psalms continue the Hallel, psalms sung at Passover.

LINK: Psalm 116 and Psalm 117

Psalm 116

BACKGROUND

This psalm can be read and understood in an intensely personal way, but as part of the Hallel, it probably was also understood by the Jews in a corporate way – the deliverance by God of His people from captivity.

REFLECTION

Psalm 116 is a love psalm. It begins with an expression of love to God. Why? Because God hears and responds to my need. That is His expression of love.

This psalm is full of metaphors. The psalmist communicates just how close he came to death: he was surrounded by it; it was like he was tied by ropes to death and it pulled him towards it. The psalmist was troubled and helpless. UNTIL… he called God. And God heard and rescued him and gave him a soul at rest.

What is the psalmist’s reponse to this deliverance? What is MY response?

1. A life lived for God, not for self or other people. (“I will walk before the LORD in the land of the living.” v. 9)
2. A drink from the cup of salvation offered by the LORD. Three times the psalmist calls on the Name of the LORD! (vv. 4, 13, 17) Both of these actions take humility, a recognition of my own inability to rescue myself. Do I trust God to rescue me?
3. A commitment to do what has been promised. The psalmist does what he said he will do and he does it publicly. (vv. 14, 18 ) That may involve sacrifice and humility on my part..
4. A recognition of servanthood (v. 16) I do not belong to myself. I was bought with a price.
5. An offering of a sacrifice of thanksgiving to God! (v 17) Sometimes thanksgiving is a joyful response and doesn’t feel like a sacrifice and sometimes thanksgiving comes in the midst of difficulties and it feels like a sacrifice to offer thanksgiving to the LORD.

Psalm 117

This short psalm, the shortest chapter in the Bible, invites ALL peoples to praise God. How cool that the Jews sing this at Passover, when the they celebrate God’s delivering them from Egypt. The Passover itself foreshadows the deliverance of all people who believe and trust in Jesus’ death. This psalm recognizes that.

Why praise God? Two BIG reasons:

His lovingkindness

His everlasting truth

Think about it. What would a god be like who who was loving and kind, but not truthful? Or vice versa, a god who spoke truth without loving us? How praiseworthy would a god be who was only true for a certain culture or time?

God coming in the flesh (Jesus), dying, and rising again for those who place their trust in Him satisfies both aspects of God’s nature. Jesus is the expression of God’s lovingkindness and His everlasting truth.

Each word in this short psalm is important. Don’t gloss over it!

APPLICATION

What is your response to God’s expression of love? Do you believe Him? True belief and trust result in action.

PRAYER

I love you, Lord, because You heard my heart’s cry and You rescued me. I am Yours. I want to live so that it’s obvious I have been rescued by You. I praise You!

Praise the LORD, all nations; Laud Him, all peoples!
For His lovingkindness is great toward us,
And the truth of the LORD is everlasting.
Praise the LORD!

Amen.

2 comments:

Carol Ann Weaver said...

Oh, how much more fun to come over here and read your post with all the lovely colors, Becky! LOL! The fonts and colors don't transfer over to Facebook. :) I believe in God's love for me! I DO! I DO! Hallelujah and thanks! xoxoxxo Carol (who just discovered she can read the post while she is typing this comment by pressing "show original post." If makes it so much easier to respond to specific things!)

Dancingirl said...

Carol, you're cute! XXOOO to you! (And yes, that "Show Original Post" link is great! Glad you discovered it.)

I know you believe! I echo your Hallelujah! I got so much out of meditating on Psalm 117 this time - so amazing. The idea of the everlasting truth of God has just sunk into my soul. How wonderful that is. If God simply excused sin He wouldn't be truthful and how could I trust him about anything? Oh man, I am having trouble expressing this thought... But God, recognizing the truth of our sin and being truthful with us about it (and truth is sometimes painful) loved us and rescued us!

I like the colors! But sometimes I forget about them.