Sunday, August 2, 2009

Psalms 114 & 115 - Who Do You Worship?

by Becky

LINK: Psalm 114

BACKGROUND

The Israelites’ exodus from Egypt and journey to Canaan is recounted succinctly and powerfully in this psalm. Both the brevity and power spring from the figurative language which gives life to inanimate objects and addresses water and mountains as if they are human. All of this works together to show God’s great power.

This psalm continues the series of the Hallel, psalms that were sung at Passover.

REFLECTION

What an amazing poem!

Look at the personification. We see the sea fleeing in defeat, the Jordan River retreating. Both are personified and they are characterized by fear. Fear of whom? Fear of the mighty God who dwells with His people Israel.

The mighty mountains and hills are pictured as rams and lambs who leap and run in joy and alarm in the presence of the LORD.

In verses 5 – 6, the sea, the Jordan river, the mountains and hills are all asked what ails them. They are addressed in the form of an apostrophe – a poetic device in which something that isn’t human is addressed as if it is.

All of these similes and personification bring to life the truth that God rules the natural world – even those parts that are not living – the mountains and bodies of water.

The psalm ends in power. The rocks obey God. He turns what is solid and hard into something soft and flowing.

I should fall down in worship before our God. The One who has the power to move mountains and make rivers retreat and change rock into a fountain surely has the power to change me!

LINK: Psalm 115

BACKGROUND

This is the third psalm in the Hallel, psalms sung at Passover.

REFLECTION

There is so much to meditate on in this psalm. I am only going to focus on three things.

1. Psalm 115 opens with a statement of purpose. It closes with a statement of intent. We exist entirely for God’s glory, not our own. How often do I ask for joint glory? I want God to look good, to receive praise, but while He’s doing that, can’t He help me get some applause, too? So this first verse (and the whole psalm in the light of the first verse) cautions me to look to my motives – for whom to I exist?

2. We become like what we worship. Verses 4 – 8 make it clear that those who trust in idols made by human hands become like them. Their idols don’t see or hear or walk or talk – neither will those who worship them. I think the implication here is that those who worship idols become insensitive to spiritual truths. They lose the ability to “see,” to “hear,” to “smell.” What is obvious becomes hidden. Lest we become too puffed up, because after all we don’t worship statues of gold and silver anymore, people today do worship things made by men. Today people worship comfort, financial security, material goods, entertainment, success. All of those are “made” by men. Psalm 112 points out that God’s people reflect Him in their character. Those who fear Him will be like Him. So I’m asking myself today who I worship. Who do you trust? You will beome like the thing you trust. I would rather become like God – reflect Him.

3. One line is repeated three times in this psalm, “He is their help and shield.” How reassuring! We don’t have a helpless, uncaring, unseeing God. We have one who hears and helps and shields. I am glad I belong to Him!

APPLICATION

Who or what do you worship? Meditate on these two psalms. Psalm 114 vividly expresses the power of God. Psalm 115 points out that we exist for God’s glory. It goes on to say that we will become like what we worship. Take some time to reflect on your priorities. Do you live for God’s praise or do you want a share of that praise for yourself?

PRAYER

Every time I read the Psalms, Father, I am reminded of Your greatness and my focus gets realigned. Thank you for that. Help me to live for You – help me not to slide into the slime of wanting a share of the glory that should go to You. I want to worship You and You alone.

No comments: