Monday, January 3, 2011

Genesis 3 - Sin Enters the Scene

LINK: Genesis 3

Here is an audio version of me telling the story: FALL

BACKGROUND

"This chapter is the pivot on which the whole Bible turns." 
Griffith Thomas

I do agree. A careful study of this chapter is absolutely foundational. We cannot even possibly grasp its importance as the foundation of biblical revelation. 

In Genesis 1 and 2, there are three major characters: God and His "king and queen," Adam and Eve. They have a perfect unbroken fellowship. They were provided for in every way. Their provider God was a good God. That has been made abundantly clear. He gave them responsibility ("Be fruitful and multiply fill the earth and subdue it" and name the animals), and He gave them each other. There was no loneliness in that garden. Their relationship was good. He gave them absolutely no reason to doubt His goodness; yet . . .

In Genesis 3, we see a new character on the scene: a crafty serpent. Revelation 20:2 indicates that this serpent is Satan. How did he get there? Read Ezekiel 28. He was once an angel who was expelled from heaven.

Essentially, this crafty guy tried to make a liar out of God, convincing Eve that God had another motive for not having Adam and Eve eat that forbidden fruit. Of course, it was a lie. Satan is good at deception, and God is just plain good. We know that He is from Genesis 1 and 2, right?

Eve saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food, pleasing to the eye, and desirable to make one wise. Compare that with this verse:

For all that is in the world, 
the lust of the flesh (good for food) and
the lust of the eyes (pleasing to the eye) and 
the boastful pride of life (desirable to make wise - be like God), 
is not from the Father, but is from the world. 
(1 John 2:16)


So, she eats it. Adam eats it. I have heard it said that Eve was deceived, and Adam knew what was right and just plain disobeyed, but I don't think it matters. It resulted in just one thing: their perfect, free-flowing relationship with God was broken. Their eyes were opened, and they knew they were naked and tried to cover themselves with fig leaves. They hid from God because they were afraid. Then, Adam blamed Eve. 

Then the curses: the serpent must crawl on his belly, the woman has pain in childbirth and her "desire" (in Hebrew, the root means "to overflow onto") will be for her husband and he will rule over her, the man must toil in his work. They are banished from that beautiful perfect garden. Worst of all is the spiritual death that occurs. There is SEPARATION. It kills me.

There is a song by Ginny Owens that asks the question, "Who are you listening to?" Adam and Eve listened to the wrong voice and they made the wrong choice.

If they had chosen the Word of the Lord, they would have had life and order. Because they chose the Word of a serpent, they had chaos and death

So, who are you listening to?

Despite this dismal scene, there is a ray of hope.


January 2, 2013

The Scarlet Thread of Redemption 

Even before the man and woman were cursed, God gave a promise in the curse of the serpent in Genesis 3:15:
"I will put enmity
between you and the woman
and between your offspring and hers;
he will crush your head,
and you will strike his heel."

This verse is called the protoevangelium which means "first gospel" in Greek. It is the first promise of the Messiah. The seed God talked about was Jesus Christ. He talked about it even before the first curse was given to Adam and Eve. 
There is no lapse of time between the fall of the human race, and the promise that there will be a victory over what has happened, a restoration of the destruction. Adam and Eve are given hope immediately, and are given another statement by God to believe. (Christianity is Jewish, p.35)
Also, God makes the clothes of skin even after they already had made fig leaf garments to cover themselves (3:21). He is a God of compassion and provision. He provided them clothing, but a creature had to die and shed blood to cover them (Hebrews 9:22Leviticus 17:11 ). This foreshadows the substitutionary sacrificial system (the death of an innocent substitute to "cover" the effects of sin) that we will study in Leviticus, but it also points toward Jesus as the substitute to cover our sin.

God is good all the time, isn't He?

REFLECTION

I struggled with typing up this reflection all day yesterday. I had to sleep on it. I suppose it is because I am a pretty positive person, and Genesis 3 seems so negative and sad. Also, I am a relational person, and it just rips my heart out to see the relationship between God and man severed in this way. I was in agony yesterday. I had to make it personal and look at MY sin for what it is; a separation in relationship with my loving and holy God. That was very "hard but good" to do.

Sometimes when I dialogue with people about Jesus (usually after I have studied Genesis and other key Old Testament passages that point to Him), I take a piece of paper and fold it over and draw a tree in a garden over the fold with an unbroken line going from God to man. There was nothin' but an authentic, loving relationship in that garden.



When I talk about Genesis 3, I pull the paper to full length, and instead of this unbroken line from God to man, there is an enormous gulf that spreads across the page. God is on one side, and man is on the other. I draw sin down the middle of the gulf and circle the "I" in sin. "sIn" is doing what "I" want to do rather than what God wants me to do (because it is best for me). 



At that moment, I am painfully aware that there is NOTHING I can do to bridge that deep chasm that exists between me and God.

Oh, shoot. Even as I type, I weep over this. The relationship is broken. It says in Romans that we were even "enemies."

Yet, even in the darkest moment in that garden, there was a LIGHT of hope in the protoevangelium (first Gospel) of Genesis 3:15! That is the promise I cling to in this dark hour in the garden. The descendant of the woman (Jesus) will crush the head of Satan! Jesus is the bridge over the chasm that covers the sin (I draw it so the middle "S" in Jesus intersects with the "S" in Sin) and makes a way for restoration! (1 Peter 3:18). Praise be to God for His infinite Gift.



Jesus to the rescue! YAY! 

Parenthetically, when I became a follower, there was a mural on the wall with a little kid looking across a deep chasm with Jesus being the bridge. So I really identify with this illustration. 

APPLICATION

Possible "I WILL" statements for this chapter might be: 

I will memorize Genesis 3:15 - the protoevangelium.

I will meditate on the words to "The Beginning" by Michael Card:

In the beginning was the Beginning
In Him it all began
All that they had was God and the garden
The woman and the man
Before Creation learned to groan
The stars would dance and sing
Each moment was new, every feeling was fresh
For the creature, King and Queen (this describes Genesis 1&2)

But deep in the heart of the beautiful garden
Forbidden fruit was found
And they were deceived, disobeyed and were driven
From that holy ground
But beside the tree of disobedience
The tree of life did grow (the hope of Jesus)
The gift of its fruit an eternal beginning
But they would never know (Genesis 3)

CHORUS

The Beginning will make all things new
New life belongs to Him
He hands us each new moment saying
My child, begin again
My child, begin again
You're free to start again

This very moment is filled with His power
That we might start anew
To break us away from the past and the future
He does what He must do
And so the Alpha brings to us this moment to commence
To live in the freedom of total forgiveness (1 John 1:9)
With reckless confidence
With reckless confidence (Hebrews 4:16)

(As I have written this, this song has come into my mind over and over because it communicates the drama and sadness of the separation but the hope of the Gospel and of "new beginnings" every day because of Jesus.)

PRAYER

Even in the darkness of that garden, You gave us hope in the promised seed. Thank You that through Jesus' blood, we have a way back to You. Help us to be mindful to confess our sin to You so that there will not be anything separating us. In Jesus' name, Amen. 

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Genesis 1 and 2 are like a fairy tale. So easily taken for granted. Do you ever sit and wonder what our land looked like hundreds of years ago before it was settled? I do. Untouched by man. Perfect.

I always find it funny how man blames woman and woman blames the serpent. But the Bible does say "She gave some to man WHO WAS WITH HER" which implies he could have stepped in and stopped her at any time.

It does make me so sad. What they gave up, and that they can never return. I think too that not only did their relationship with God change forever but their relationship with each other changed forever too. Their whole focus changed from companionship and worship to survival.
Connie

Carrie said...

There were two things that I noted about this chapter that I had never really paid attention to before.

#1 - Adam named Eve AFTER the fall. AFTER she ate the forbidden fruit and received the curse of pain during childbirth - then she received her name. I really don't know what that means, but I find it curious and would be interested in the implications of that.

#2 - God sent an angel with a flaming sword to guard the tree. But Adam and Eve were the only people. I wondered if perhaps they lived close enough that Adam would go back and looking at it with either longing or regret? But the punishment was in place and he was no longer allowed to return.

Anyway, this was interesting and again I thank you for the encouragement!

Anonymous said...

I was really hoping for new insight into this passage since I've read it so many times before. I have a friend who has written a Bible study that covers Gen 1-3, Romans 1-3, and Rev 20-22. It is *amazing* how those 9 chapters tie together and explain the whole gospel message.

Anyway, a few questions I'll just throw out for anyone:
1) What do you think of when you think of enmity?
2) Who is "your offspring"? The "hers" is the seed leading to Jesus, right?
3) In times when I've struggled with there being a literal hell, I wonder why it's not mentioned. Why just eternal death? (which is what a friend IRL believes hell is).

And also, why is there so little in the Bible about the origins of Satan? Wouldn't it give us greater understanding?

This is so good, Carol!
Heather

Anonymous said...

Eve means Life and he named her this because she would be giving life to all man kind. I also realized for the first time that he named her after the fall.

It says (and I am paraphrasing)"The people have become what we are, knowing everything...good and evil. If they eat of the tree of life they will life FOREVER! That is when they were banished and the angelic beings were sent to gaurd the way to the tree of life. God could no longer trust man. Sad. I think about how easily man is tempted and how we so quickly turn from God. Right from the start we see God being nothing but good and man running from his goodness. Amazing!
Connie

Katrina said...

The perfect world -- no sin, no death, no violence, no pain, no tears -- all changed in that moment.

The perfect world -- lush garden, provision, communion with God, companions with one another -- all shattered in that moment.

We lost so much when Adam & Eve chose at that moment to disobey God! And, like you said, there was no turning back.

You're right. Satan is very good at deception. He is the father of lies. He used his crafty ways to completely change Eve's thinking. So sneaky! Reminds me of my need to continually renew my mind, always turning my thinking back to God and his word, so I can line it up with God. (Romans 12:2)

Adam & Eve's reaction when approached by God after sinning was FEAR. Oh how they must have trembled over what they had done!

This event also includes the first animal sacrifice. God must have killed an animal in order to make clothes from skins for Adam and Eve. He demonstrated to them the need for a sacrifice to cover their sin as well as the need for clothing now to cover their nakedness.

Passing the buck -- we are so good at that! That's just what Adam, then Eve did. The buck stopped at Satan, though. He couldn't blame anyone else. And even though they tried to pass responsibility on to others, it didn't work. God held each one responsible and pronounced curses on all three who did wrong.

In the midst of the curse is the promise. I like how you pointed that out (& Edith Schaeffer's quote). God sure is a merciful God!! He could have left them to wonder for a while, but no, right away he provided them with temporary covering and promised a permanent cure. God is so good!

Katrina said...

The way to the tree of life had to be blocked. Once they had sinned, if they ate from the tree they would live forever in sin, death, separation from God. God was protecting them by keeping them from that tree.

Katrina said...

My thoughts on Heather's questions --

1) What do you think of when you think of enmity?

I think of enmity as hostile conflict. A battle would ensue, largely a spiritual battle, although there are physical aspects to it as well.

2) Who is "your offspring"? The "hers" is the seed leading to Jesus, right?

This is where the conflict takes place. "your (Satan's) offspring" would be the spiritual descendants of Satan. These people can be found everywhere, even in the religious leadership of Israel (see Eph 2:2 & John 8:33-44).

"Her Seed" does refer to Jesus. Satan will strike his heel (cause suffering) at the cross. But Jesus will strike a death blow to the head of Satan at the cross. Sin & death will no longer have power and victory.

3) In times when I've struggled with there being a literal hell, I wonder why it's not mentioned. Why just eternal death? (which is what a friend IRL believes hell is).

Excellent point! I hadn't really thought about that before. Hell isn't specifically mentioned in this particular passage, but heaven isn't mentioned either. The focus seems to be more on the curses that will play out in this life on earth, rather than the eternal state afterward. So, neither heaven nor hell are mentioned, because that's not the focus at this point.

(I don't see what you're referring to as a mention of eternal death. ?? Physical death is specified in verse 19.)

There are plenty of other passages in the Bible that tell us about both heaven and hell, so I'm sure we'll get to it more in depth later. :)

Right now I have to go have dinner with my family. :)

carrie said...

BTW- There are two Carries here. We need to find a way to distinguish between us! I'm Carol's friend from Lamp Post. I'll try to remember to sign my posts Carrie in NC.

Peace.

Susanne Barrett said...

I thought it could perhaps have been a sign of Adam's HOPE that He named Eve after the Fall. He's looking forward, not back, after God has given His "curses" (what my Bible named the section). Life has to go on (to be trite), and Adam is looking in that direction in naming Eve at this time: after the "curses" of God and before God, in His compassion, gave them their clothing of skins (bringing death into the world, and the idea of blood sacrifice).

It makes me so sad to think of what life would have been like without the Fall. But we'll never know. But Christ is promised immediately as God gives His children the consequences, and I think that it is from THAT that Adam finds the hope to name Eve "life." Again, "life goes on...."

Anonymous said...

Carrie (in NC),
You both have different photos that come through with your posts that help differentiate you.
Connie

LauraLiz said...

I may not be able to comment each day, but am reading along.

This morning when I read the chapter, my thoughts went to what it meant to know good and evil. I think I've just thought of that with "pat answers" before. Today I envisioned a world where EVERYTHING was good. Then when mankind let sin enter, even things that were once good now took on different meanings. Nakedness had not been shameful or sinful. But now it felt that way. Suddenly they saw their nakedness. I think that shows the shift in their knowledge. The nakedness had not changed. They had changed. Now that they know evil, they feel vulnerable. They feel a need to cover up and hide. They cover up physically, and they use "protective devices" (like blame casting) to cover up emotionally. Nothing can ever be taken at face value again, with total trust. Enter ulterior motives and manipulation and selfishness and protections. I'm not sure I am saying what I was thinking, but there it is!

To me it is interesting that Eve gave the food to Adam and he ate it, apparently without comment. Easier to give in than to argue (conjecture, of course--it could be that he was in total agreement). This is a picture of some of the problems that have followed men and women. When a man is silent rather than confronting issues in love, and standing for what is godly, it is not helpful to a marriage. The old (sad) joke is that the key to peace in a marriage is the man learning to say "yes, dear." (Now that I think about it, there is a book, The Silence of Adam, which I think talks about similar thoughts.)

I've run out of steam...

Dancingirl said...

Carol, I've been listening to the Michael Card song a lot today (and the rest of the album) in the car. And I love how you point out that God gives immediate hope in the midst of the darkness.

I read somewhere that blaming others shows we're not really repentant for what we did.

It also strikes me that what Adam and Eve wanted is what we still want. We want to be gods, we want autonomy - to determine ourselves what is right and wrong, good and evil. We listen to lies and think that what we can achieve on our own is better than what God designs. My thoughts on this tie in some with what Laura has said. Adam and Eve apparently wanted MORE than they had. In not trusting and in disobeying God, they instead LOST so, so much. No more sweet communion, no complete trust, no loving power. It's ironic. What they got was suspicion, fear, aloneness, weakness. So sad.

I like what several of you have said about Eve's name!

carrie said...

Hi Connie- I can't see the photos on the main page, only if I specifically open the comments page. I use Google Reader and when I click on a post it gives me the article and the comments on one page, but no pictures. It's only if I "add a comment" that I see them.

Anyway, no big. I was just surprised to see a "Carrie" post and thought I might need to differentiate.

Carrie in NC

Rachel said...

Carrie in NC,

This is off topic, but how do you get Google Reader to show the comments along with the original post? I always have to click through to the blog itself to see the comments. Is there some way to choose that as an option?

Carol Ann Weaver said...

Here I am 15 years later. This read through, it was the line, "They hid from God's presence," that stood out to me and stopped me in my tracks. I think this read-through I am going to take note of where I read "presence" because that is so much where I am at. It goes back to my desire to be in God's presence throughout my day and pay attention when I "hide" from his presence. I know that I have learned coping mechanisms (that help me relieve my core fear) that keep me from His presence. They are so automatic that over the last few years, I have learned to "catch myself in the act" of those coping mechanisms. I don't want to have a barrier between myself and His loving presence. He really is GOOD. Why would I hide. So those are my reflections 15 years later. I had such a year in 2022 of living in His presence. I am growing in this way. It has been exciting! I miss you Rachel, Carrie, Katrina, Suzanne, Becky, Laura, Heather, Connie, and Carrie!