Sunday, January 23, 2011

Let's Take a Psalm Break!

Hello BBCers around the world!


Let's take a break from the narrative history and break into song . . .oh . . .I mean PSALM!


Later on today, I will be posting about Psalm 1! Here we will have only 6 verses to really CHEW on and digest. Here is a great MP3 by the person who taught me much about meditation:

Jim Downing Meditation


In addition, you might like to try one of these other ways to meditate depending on how you are "wired":


1) Write a Poem


2) Write a Song


I have posted a few Michael Card songs as we have studied Genesis. Many of his songs were written after he would meditate on a passage from his pastor’s sermon. During the week, he would write a song and teach it to the congregation on the following Sunday. I have done this periodicly throughout my life with the Lord, and those songs are so meaningful to me now. For example, here is a song based on Psalm 23 that I set to music back in 1982 when I was lonely and living in Spain:


I can feel the love of God surround me as I go;
Through peaceful fields, by waters still, on high paths and on low.
The things I fear all disappear; each snare each enemy!
God’s love directs my every step, surrounds me and sets me free.


3) Illustrate



You may NOT be artistic, but this shouldn’t stop you from trying this fun way to meditate on Scripture. My old roommates and I would meditate this way together, and we would decorate the walls in our stairwell with our art work! Years later, I did it with my children as we “meditated” through The Beginner’s Bible when they were 3 & 5. It was so fun. Break out the colored pencils or crayons and enjoy God’s presence in pictures. Use color and creativity and even get others involved!


Psalm 1, is great to illustrate! Give it a try, take a picture and send it to me, and I will post it on the blog!!!!!


Another variation of this is to use magazines pictures and cut and paste your meditations or take a picture in nature that illustrates your meditation. I know many of you take great pictures too!


4) Pray Responsively


Praying through the Scriptures brings the Word to a personal level. We can read a small portion and respond back in prayer. John 15:7 says that if we abide in Him and His words abide in us we can ask whatever we wish and it shall be done for us. Praying Scripture is definitely His will. Here is an example of praying Colossians 3:12:


"Lord, thank You for choosing me and making me holy and beloved because of Jesus. Because I am beloved by You, I want to love others with that love! Please help me to put on my 'love clothes.' I want to be compassionate, kind, humble, and gentle with my kids. Give me patience as Paul interrupts me while I type this" (Paul was five years old when I wrote this. He is better now.).


The psalms are great to pray through alone or with a friend! The first devotional time I ever had with my discipler in college was praying through a psalm. Take turns reading a couple of verses and then responding to God in prayer.


Enjoy!
Post a Comment