Thursday, January 6, 2011

Genesis 7 & 8 - There's Gonna' Be a Floody, Floody


Noah's  Rainbow Chagall Museum, originally uploaded by baabuzz.

The artist, Marc Chagall, was commissioned to illustrate the whole Old Testament. If you ever get an opportunity to go to the Art Institute of Chicago, his American Windows are beautiful.

LINK: Genesis 7&8

BACKGROUND

We learned yesterday that Noah was a man who walked with God. Genesis 6 concludes that "Noah did everything just as God commanded him" in the construction of the ark. We learned he was a man commended for his faith in the Hebrews 11 "Hall of Faith."

This is the first time clean and unclean animals are mentioned. These terms will become very common throughout the Old Testament, especially in Leviticus. Note there is a calling for more clean pairs of animals than unclean ones, apparently for sacrifice at a later time.

This is the first mention of forty days and forty nights; a period of time that will become quite significant throughout Scripture (e.g., Moses on the mountain, the temptation of Christ).

Here is a question you may have been asked or are asking yourself:

Did the flood really happen and was it really worldwide?

In a nutshell, I will give four supports:

1) Genesis said that it happened and that it was worldwide

Verse 7:20 says that "all high mountains under the entire heavens were covered . . . to a depth of more than twenty feet." This indicates that it was a worldwide flood.

The Hebrew word mabbul and the Greek word kataklusmos are used solely in connection with the Noahic flood. The ordinary Hebrew and Greek words for a local flood are not used here.

Scripture certainly supports a worldwide flood. Words like "mankind," "all the people of the earth," "every living creature," "all the high mountains," "everything on dry land that had the breath of life in its nostrils," "every living thing on the face of the earth," and "all life" found in Genesis 6-9 surely indicates that it happened worldwide, and it wiped out everybody.

2) Other Scriptures Support

Isaiah 54:9 says, "To me this is like the days of Noah, when I swore that the waters of Noah would never again cover the earth." Jesus supported it in Matthew 24:36-39. Peter indicates it in 2 Peter 3:3-7, "the world at that time was destroyed, being flooded with water."

3) Science Admits It (sort of)

Scientists do admit a historical flood based on geological evidence (sea fossils on top of mountain tops). They do not acknowledge it was at Noah's time.

4) Anthropology Implies It

There are flood sagas found almost universally in various cultures. None is more widespread than the story about a flood and a boat. There are over 270 flood stories. The Babylonians have one in the story of Gilgamesh where the man comparable to Noah is named Utnapishtim, ". . . the Sumerians had Ziusudra, the Greeks had Deucalion, the Hindus had Manu, the Chinese had Fah-he (Fuhi), the Hawaiians had Nu-u . . . etc." (Holman Old Testament Commentary). That is pretty amazing and would indicate that it was the same flood as the one in Genesis.

There is so much more we could talk about: the size of a cubit, how fossils form (the abundance of fossils in the fossil record seems to indicate rapid depositing of the earth's sediment), the capacity of the boat, dinosaurs in an ark, etc. I have several articles written by Dr. Kurt Wise that are really mind-blowing if that is your thing, and I encourage you to check out Answers in Genesis and do your own study.

All that aside, how do these chapters speak to you personally?

REFLECTION (written in 2008)

We had a deluge of rain last night; it was so loud that I could not sleep. At about 3 a.m., I started giggling, and I said to God, "Are You trying to help me understand what it must have been like for Noah. YOU CREATIVE CREATOR, YOU!!" 

I quickly got up and said, "Well, if you are going to keep me up by the endless rain racket, I might as well get up and pray and meditate on that passage again." (God is so great.) 

I just imagined myself in the ark with all the animals with their noises and smells, the constant "splatter, splatter, splatter," and the confined space with close relatives. (OH, NOT THAT!) I came to have more and more of an appreciation of Noah's faith during the uncertainty and waiting in that ark. I don't know if I could have handled it. Yet, Noah believed God in faith:

"And without faith it is impossible to please Him, 
for He who comes to God must believe that He is, 
and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him." 
(Hebrews 11:6)

We will see time and time again throughout Genesis, faith, front and center, in the Patriarchs who are yet to come. It is SO exciting!

One more thing: I got to thinking about that camp song that I used to sing right after I became a believer:

God said to Noah 
There's gonna'  be a floodyfloody 
God said to Noah 
There's gonna' be a floodyfloody 
Get those children out of the muddy, muddy 
Children of the Lord!

What they did not tell me back then is that God did not tell Noah to get those children out of the "muddy, muddy." Only eight people: Noah, Shem, Ham, Japheth, and their wives were saved from this worldwide deluge. All the rest of humanity was wiped out. This is heartbreaking.  I must believe in the sovereignty of God on that one, but I do not look at this story and sing the "happy" camp song anymore. I consider those around me who are sinking today without the Lord.

APPLICATION

Your application might take many different forms from my own: risking being different from the people around you in order to obey God, relying on God's promise when the "rain" of your life is making you consider "jumping ship," or opening your eyes to see those sinking all around you and throwing out a "life ring" by sharing the Good News of Jesus Christ.

As I was meditating last night, I spied a prayer bulletin for a part of the world that we used to live in. I wept as I read through it, and I was renewed in my determination to pray in faith for these people and to take steps toward going on a journey there this summer. (Update: We did go!)

PRAYER

Lord, give us faith and belief in the goodness of Your plan and promises. We know that it is impossible to please You without faith. Thank You that Your Word and the stories of people like Noah help us to believe You are (we will get to God being I am soon) and that You are a rewarder of those who seek You (Hebrews 11:6). Help us to seek You!

Also, please give us eyes to see the world through Your eyes, to see the end of man apart from You, and give us hearts that break as Your heart breaks for them. Give us the courage to act in faith on that account too. Amen

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

So Noah did everything as God commanded him...and God says I consider you alone to be righteous. Abel, Enoch, Noah...These men of faith are something to aspire to! I have to admit that I get discouraged when I think of my busy, distracted life and compare it to men like these. How can I even begin to compare?

With that in mind...how comforting to know that chapter 8 begins with the words "But God remembered Noah..." Even when we are too busy and too distracted for God (not that Noah ever was) He never forgets us! He is always thinking of us, always watching over us, always remembering us!

I thought it was neat that the Dove (a symbol of peace) brought back in its beak an olive branch (another symbol of peace). God was really trying to tell Noah something!

How great that Noah took the time to worship God and make sacrifice for deliverance. After all that time cooped up with smelly animals and family members he didn't just run out of the ark and forget that God had provided for him. How often I forget to thank God for His provisions for me in life. And then when I do, I feel so often I am just going through the motions, that it is trite and meaningless or ritualistic. Is prayer for safe trip like rubbing a rabbit's foot? I take for granted thanking Him for every meal because I am not starving or wondering where each meal will come from.

Sigh...I think about how God's heart must have been broken. To have made such a perfect thing in the beginning only to have man destroy it and have to wipe it out and start over again. I look at our world today and I wonder what more the Lord can put up with. There are still good people left on this earth...it makes me wonder just how bad it could get...and how bad it was in Noah's time. I was thinking tonight about why our earth hadn't gotten that bad again even though it had been many more years than the time between Adam and Noah. The conclusion I came to was JESUS! Without Jesus in the hearts of man there would be no hope but because of Jesus there's enough light on earth to turn away the darkness and keep us from becoming the wicked world of Noah's day. Thank you Jesus! :-)
Connie

LauraLiz said...

I noticed something for the first time today. Verse 21 says God will never again curse the ground on account of man, for the intent of man's heart is evil from his youth. I know God specifically promises later never to destroy the earth by flood, but this is the first time I've noticed "curse." I quickly skimmed the meanings of "curse," and it is different in this passage than in "the fall." When the ground is cursed due to Adam and Eve's sin, it is "bound," or limited. Here, it is more like it has been considered of little consequence (this is a quick paraphrase, not exact by any means). It was interesting to me that God gives the reason for His not cursing the earth on account of man...because the intent of man's heart is evil from his youth. To "punish" the earth for man's evil would have to be a constant thing! Not theologically earth-shattering, but it was something I'd not noticed before. Hurrying off to church now...no proofreading!

Anonymous said...

This is splitting hairs but my translation says, "even though" rather than "because" people are bent toward evil from their youth. I went to http://www.biblegateway.com/ and checked other translations on this verse and most say "even though" which does change the meaning slightly.

I just returned from church and our Sunday School class is studying What's So Amazing About Grace by Philip Yancey. It strikes me that "even though" God knew that people's thoughts and actions are bent toward evil from youth that He chose ahead of time to extend grace upon us rather than reserving the right to punish us with the destruction of the earth again.
Connie

Katrina said...

It must have been an amazing thing to watch all those animals flock to the ark.

It must have been very sad when God shut the door of the ark, leaving on the outside all of Noah's (and his family's) friends and other relatives.

And the water -- I can't even imagine that much water! Pouring down from the sky, bursting up out of the ground, constantly for forty days and forty nights.

It must have been hard to be patient while the water receded. Noah and his family were in that ark more than a year!

And 8:19 describes a very orderly departure of the animals from the ark. I'd love to have seen that! :)

Noah's offering was pleasing to the Lord. I pray that my life will be a pleasing offering to God.

Like Laura, this is the first time I noticed God's words at the end of chapter eight. If God were to curse the ground because of man, then it would be cursed constantly because man is evil at the heart even from youth. Man's condition never changed (which, of course, we'll see as we continue reading). We are born depraved, not sinless.

Katrina said...

Carol mentioned Answers in Genesis, and I just want to say that they do some fabulous conferences that are definitely worth going to. They answer a LOT of questions about creation, the flood, various viewpoints, and resulting effects on culture. And the Creation Museum in Kentucky is fascinating and very well done. If you get a chance to go to the museum, don't miss it! And be sure to include the planetarium in your visit.

Anonymous said...

As I was reading this I got really excited about Heb. 11:6 "...He rewards those who earnestly seek Him."

Jan

Carol Ann Weaver said...

Yes, Connie, I agree that it is because of Jesus!

Jan, I have meditated so much on Hebrews 11:6 in the last few days and am so encouraged by it too. I want to keep seeking Him.

Katrina, I didn't think about the fact that you are near Answers in Genesis. Our friends moved to Kentucky, and they are on staff there. :)

Nikki Stauber said...

So, a friend gave me a commentary on Genesis when I told him I was working through Genesis with this BBC. It made an observation that I found interesing: Chapter 8 tells the story of a re-Creation of the Earth which loosely parallels the story in Genesis 1. After the water has covered the earth(whatever portion of it one chooses to believe was covered), the waters recede to reveal land and vegetation; then the birds are sent out; and then man and the animals are sent out "so they can multiply on the earth and be fruitful." For some reason, this makes me think about how often God creates me anew so I can be "more fruitful" and it makes me wonder about the creation of the new earth and new heaven with no sea in Revelation. No clear thoughts this late in the day, just wonderings.- Nikki

Carol Ann Weaver said...

Colleen said...
That's a beautiful opening to today's post, Carol; Chagall's Biblical paintings are so evocative. I love that God uses a rainbow as the sign of his covenant with Noah. Rainbows of course have no end, and the fact that they're actually full circles is reminiscent of God's unending promise. What a word picture!

Speaking of covenants, while reading some notes I took when our pastor preached through Genesis, I was reminded that the creation story initially refers to God, in the Hebrew, as Elohim ~ His creation name. When we move into the chapter 2, and the creation of man, we're introduced to Yahweh, God's covenant name. It is telling that already in the very beginning, God was preparing a covenant with His people.

JANUARY 8, 2008 1:51 AM

Carol Ann Weaver said...

I believe the floor literally happened!