Sunday, October 2, 2011

2 Samuel 17 - Absalom's Counsel

LINK: 2 Samuel 17

BACKGROUND


Remember how David prayed in 15:31, "O LORD, turn Ahithophel's advice into foolishness"? Well, when Ahithophel advised Absalom to pursue David with twelve thousand men immediately, God allowed Absalom to follow Hushai's advice instead (Remember Hushai is David's spy!) Because of this, Hushai was able to get word to David so that David had time to strengthen his forces and gather supplies from people in the area who were aligned with him. In the meantime, Ahithophel, smarting from Absalom spurning his counsel, went home and hanged himself. (Sounds like another traitor we will read about in the New Testament, doesn't it? Read Matthew 27:5.)

REFLECTION


I have had good counselors and bad counselors in my life. Some were people I respected, but I realized that their counsel had other motives behind it. I have learned to really pray and be very discerning and careful about who should counsel me in situations. Counsel should never contradict the Word of God and should always be bathed in prayer. I am very leery of people who tell me what they think without praying about it first. The best counselors are the ones who guide you in listening to God together!


All that said, wise counselors are such a blessing! I have had wise counselors in my mentors, Ginny and Lorraine! Ginny passed away in 2013, but Lorraine still gives me wonderful words of counsel and encouragement! They have been a big part of my life for years. 



My mentors: Ginny and Lorraine. This is the last picture with all three of us together, in May 2011.

2023 Update: Lorraine went to be with Jesus in heaven in May 2019. I will always be grateful for their wise influence in my life. 

We will be reading the whole book of Proverbs next month, and it has some things to say about counselors. Here are some verses to meditate on today:


   Refuse good advice and watch your plans fail; 
take good counsel and watch them succeed.
(Proverbs 15:22, The Message)

Where no wise guidance is, the people fall, 
but in the multitude of counselors there is safety. 
(Proverbs 11:14, AMP)

Purposes and plans are established by counsel; 
and [only] with good advice make or carry on war. 
(Proverbs 20:18, AMP)  

APPLICATION


Who are the wise counselors in your life? 

You may not have people like this in your vicinity, but spiritual directors are available via online platforms.  You can read more about what spiritual direction is by going to my website at Body and Soul Companion.

Here are lists of directors I would recommend:

Sustainable Faith Affiliates - These are seasoned spiritual directors who can serve as pastoral care resources to pastors, missionaries, and other Christian leaders. They have had at least 120 sessions with directees and have gone through an extensive application process.

The Contemplative Activist Spiritual Directors Network - These have all completed a two-year program of direction through Sustainable Faith and are thoroughly vetted. 

ESDA   - Members have completed a two-year program of spiritual direction training and have at least a minimum of 20 hours of direction with 10 of supervised direction.

PRAYER

Lord, provide us with wise counselors. Give us discernment to detect bad ones. Amen. 

1 comment:

Carol Ann Weaver said...

Looking at the picture of Ginny and Lorraine tugged at my heart. I am so thankful for the many years I spent with them from 1997-2019. I miss them so much!