Monday, August 19, 2013

Hebrews 3 - Do Not Harden Your Heart

LINK: Hebrews 3

BACKGROUND 

The Hebrews were partakers of a "heavenly calling" (Ephesians 2:6-7; Philippians 3:20-21; 2 Timothy 2:12; Revelation 7:15-17, 21:1-22:5). They were exhorted to "thoughtfully and attentively consider" Jesus who is an Apostle because He was the one sent forth by God, and He faithfully revealed the Father. He is the High Priest because of what we learned in 2:17-18. Moses was considered an apostle because he established the covenant between God and Israel, while his brother Aaron was the high priest who mediated between God and man during the sacrifices. Jesus is both the Apostle and High Priest. Therefore, Jesus is superior to Moses. As an Apostle, Jesus pleads God's cause with believers. As a High Priest, He pleads the believers' cause with God! He is the perfect Mediator between God and man (1 Timothy 2:5-6)! Moses was a servant in God's house (Tabernacle) but Christ is the divine Son over God's household.

The rest of the chapter contains a warning to not harden their hearts like Israel did in the wilderness. Psalm 95:7-11 is quoted here. It refers to the failure of Israel (except for Moses, Caleb, and Joshua) to believe and their disobedience that resulted in the 40 years of wilderness wandering (see Numbers 13 & 14). Because of their hardness, Israel did not enter the rest in the promised land of Canaan (Deuteronomy 12:8-12).

What is our rest? Stay tuned for tomorrow's post! 

REFLECTION

Moses was a "type" of Christ. A type is a person in the Old Testament who foreshadows a person in the New Testament. Here are the similarities between Moses and Christ:
1) As infants, both were threatened with extermination under a cruel ruler (Exodus 1:22, 2:1-19; Matthew 2:13-17). 
2) Both mediated between God and man (Exodus 32:30-32; 1 Timothy 2:5-6). 
3) Both brought the law; Moses brought one on stone and Jesus by the Spirit on human hearts (Exodus 19:1-20:22; 2 Corinthians 3:3).  
4) Both were God's instruments to liberate people from slavery (Exodus 12:1-35; Colossians 1:13-14). (Adapted from Hebrews (LifeChange), p. 49-50)
APPLICATION

There will be more about rest tomorrow. For your application today, enjoy a time of worship as you listen to the video and read the lyrics below.

PRAYER

"Jesus, I Am Resting, Resting" was J. Hudson Taylor's favorite hymn. Here is the story behind the hymn and Taylor:



Use it in your prayer time today. I love this rendition with more modern language:





Jesus, I am resting, resting,
In the joy of what Thou art;
I am finding out the greatness
Of Thy loving heart.
Thou hast bid me gaze upon Thee,
And Thy beauty fills my soul,
For by Thy transforming power,
Thou hast made me whole.


Refrain
Jesus, I am resting, resting,
In the joy of what Thou art;
I am finding out the greatness
Of Thy loving heart.

O, how great Thy loving kindness,
Vaster, broader than the sea!
O, how marvelous Thy goodness,
Lavished all on me!
Yes, I rest in Thee, Belovèd,
Know what wealth of grace is Thine,
Know Thy certainty of promise,
And have made it mine.


Refrain

Simply trusting Thee, Lord Jesus,
I behold Thee as Thou art,
And Thy love, so pure, so changeless,
Satisfies my heart;
Satisfies its deepest longings,
Meets, supplies its every need,
Compasseth me round with blessings:
Thine is love indeed!


Refrain

Ever lift Thy face upon me
As I work and wait for Thee;
Resting ’neath Thy smile, Lord Jesus,
Earth’s dark shadows flee.
Brightness of my Father’s glory,
Sunshine of my Father’s face,
Keep me ever trusting, resting,
Fill me with Thy grace.


Refrain

1 comment:

Carol Ann Weaver said...

Love, Love, Love this new rendition of Jesus I am resting and the story behind the song! The church that posted it is right next door to my mom's old church in Temecula, CA. What a small world!