Friday, February 4, 2011

Genesis 44 - Judah Intercedes for Benjamin

LINK: Genesis 44

BACKGROUND

Joseph sent the brothers away with a silver cup in Benjamin's sack as a test (44:2). Consequently, Benjamin was accused of stealing. The brothers' true repentance and remorse to God are evident as they defend Benjamin and fall down before Joseph. All the haunting memories of their past transgression toward Joseph were in full view. Judah pleaded with Joseph and was willing to be in slavery himself so that Benjamin could go back to Jacob (44:18-33). He had not defended Joseph, but he defended Benjamin. 

How appropriate that the Lord Jesus Christ is the Lion of the tribe of Judah. Like Judah, He makes intercession for us before our Ruler, and He was willing to be a slave so that we might be set free.

Therefore He is able also to save forever 
those who draw near to God through Him, 
since He always lives 
to make intercession for them.
Hebrews 7:25

At this point, the testing was complete. The brothers had fully recognized their wrongdoings. They had changed.

APPLICATION

What have you learned about Jesus through this passage? Spend some time in thanksgiving for what He has done for you. 

PRAYER

Thank You, God, for sending Jesus so that we might be free to draw near to You through Him. Amen.

4 comments:

Dancingirl said...

Thanks so much for the link, Carol!! It looks great - amazing in fact. I look forward to using it.

Carol Ann Weaver said...

You're welcome! I don't know why I didn't think of it before this morning! I have been spending all morning going back over all the old posts and making links for them.

I am such a Bible nerd. :)

Katrina said...

The links are a great idea!!

Carol Ann Weaver said...

I guess I didn't start out giving links to the Bible chapters when I first started this journey! I don't even remember that. I certainly did make it up as I went along. LOL! So fun though.