Friday, February 25, 2011

Exodus 19 - Preparations for the Covenant at Sinai

LINK: Exodus 19

BACKGROUND

Exactly three months after the Exodus from Egypt, the Israelites arrived at the foot of Mount Sinai. The events from Exodus 19:1 - Numbers 10:10 lasted 11 months and 6 days. The major event in this chapter is the preparation of the people for the acceptance of the Law. The Law is also called the Mosaic Covenant, and it is like the suzerainty treaties of the Near Eastern kings with their vassals. I will explain more about that in the future.

The God and King of heaven was about to make a treaty with His "vassals," and they needed to separate themselves from all impurity and consecrate themselves to Him. The preparations took three days. At the end of the three days, the God of heaven came to Sinai in all His power and glory. 

I wish I could have seen it! Only Moses and Aaron were allowed to ascend to the top of the mountain while the people and priest waited below. They had to stay there for they would have perished in the powerful presence of the Lord.

So Moses came and called the elders of the people, and set before them all these words which the Lord had commanded him. All the people answered together and said, “All that the Lord has spoken we will do!” And Moses brought back the words of the people to the Lord.  (Exodus 19:7-8, NASB95)
Stay tuned to see whether they follow through on their part of the treaty!

REFLECTION 

God said to the Israelites, "I carried you on eagles' wings and brought you to myself" (19:4).

Deuteronomy 32:10-12 says:
He found him in a desert land, 
And in the howling waste of a wilderness; 
He encircled him, 
He cared for him, 
He guarded him as the pupil of His eye. 
Like an eagle that stirs up its nest, 
That hovers over its young, 
He spread His wings and caught them, 
He carried them on His pinions. 
The Lord alone guided him, 
And there was no foreign god with him.

This is such a beautiful picture of what God does for us. He does not want us to stay comfortable in our nests. He wants us to grow and fly and become strong, and this causes us to become closer to Him. Praise HIM!

APPLICATION

How long ago did you "hatch" as a believer?  It may be time to take some risks and fly. Talk to God about it. He will carry you and draw you to Himself! 

PRAYER

We are Your eaglets in training, Lord! Teach us to fly. Amen.

1 comment:

Carol Ann Weaver said...

Since I wrote this, I have had so many opportunities to FLY! YIKES. It has been really good for me. I am learning to live into God's name for me: Boldly Beloved! I am much bolder than I have ever been. Or maybe I am back to being bold again. I think in Christendom, boldness for a woman is not always valued. I am less concerned about that. I led a team of people for two years, and I had a great experience. I am very thankful. I kept saying, I am a LOVING, LEARNING, LEADER. I am a LOVING, VISIONARY, REVOLUTIONARY. It was helpful, and when I said, "Jesus, I am not a REVOLUTIONARY!" He replied, "But I AM!" :)