Saturday, March 1, 2008

Exodus 14 - Crossing the Red Sea


READING: Exodus 14

BACKGROUND:
This is a great narrative and doesn't need much explanation, so I just have a couple of notes:

The locations mentioned in verse two are uncertain, and exactly where the Israelites crossed the Red Sea is not known. This map is one of the commonly suggested routes.

The crossing of the Red Sea is a type of baptism. See 1 Cor. 10:1-2.

I would suggest reading this chapter slowly and carefully and trying to picture images of the events in your mind. As you paint your mental pictures, remember a few things -- There are around 2,000,000 people, including the aged, infirm, ill, infants, small children, pregnant women, etc., all crossing a wide, dry swath of ground with walls of water on each side. They have large herds and flocks of animals with them as well. Not a single person or animal perished in the crossing. The crossing took several hours to accomplish and was mostly during the night.

REFLECTION:
One of my favorite parts of this chapter is verses 13-14. "But Moses said to the people, 'Do not fear! Stand by and see the salvation of the LORD which He will accomplish for you today; for the Egyptians whom you have seen today, you will never see them again forever. The LORD will fight for you while you keep silent.'"

This is such a far cry from Moses' initial, "I can't do this; please send somebody else." Moses has experienced God at work and has no doubt that God has a miraculous plan of action in mind.

And then verse 31 -- "And when Israel saw the great power which the LORD had used against the Egyptians, the people feared the LORD, and they believed in the LORD and in His servant Moses."

So, I've been reflecting on my walk of faith. The more I see God at work, the stronger my faith becomes. He is a God who interacts with us, lets us experience who He is, and strengthens our faith in Him by showing us His power. When we experience His power, it gives us the confidence to trust Him even in the most difficult of situations.

APPLICATION:
Take note whenever you see God's hand at work, whether through events in Scripture, your own life, or the lives of others. Keep a journal or make memorials that commemorate God's work. You can be creative or keep it simple, but the important thing is to remember it!

PRAYER:
When I am afraid, Lord, I will put my trust in You.

2 comments:

Dancingirl said...

I think it's a good idea, too, to keep a record of times we know or have seen God's work in our lives or others' lives. I don't know about you, but when I'm in the midst of fear or despair, I can't think of those times, so it really helps me to have them recorded.

Your prayer is so simple and so profound. Yes. I needed that.

Carol Ann Weaver said...

Thanks so much for doing this Katrina! I had a great time at the sea while I meditated on the Israelites crossing the Red Sea. LOL! I love it how God does things like that to make them stick.

I really appreciate you stepping in so that I could go without having to be behind on the BBC!

We are the body!
Carol