Thursday, March 27, 2008

Day 87: Exodus 39-40

Indwelling by God of the Tabernacle

SCRIPTURE: Exodus 39-40

SUMMARY:
Here the tabernacle was completed just as God instructed Moses. It was set up one year after the Exodus from Egypt and nine months after Israel's arrival at Mt. Sinai. Once all the preparations were completed, the cloud covered the tabernacle, and the glory of the LORD filled it.

REFLECTION:
One purpose of the Tabernacle was to provide a place for God's presence among Israel. Now God has a home, so to speak, in the midst of His people. The cloud and fire are still present to lead Israel on her journeys, but now the glory of the LORD fills the tabernacle.

Another purpose was to provide a place of worship and sacrifice. There is an altar and instructions for sacrifices and offerings to be presented to God by Israel. These sacrifices will provide a covering for the sin of the people until the ultimate sacrifice -- Jesus -- will be made.

APPLICATION:
I'm trying to imagine myself in that place and time. Seeing the tabernacle in the middle of the camp would be a vivid reminder of God's presence, especially with the cloud and fire above it all the time. It would also be a reminder of the need for sacrifices to cover my sin. Since I'm not a priest, I would be forbidden to enter the holy place, and I would never have direct access to God myself. And I think I would be trying to keep the commandments we have just received, but I doubt I would be very successful. Or maybe I would keep them pretty well -- outwardly. I think I would have a tendency to spend time in or near the tabernacle so I could be near to God.

David said, "One thing I have asked from the LORD, that I shall seek: That I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD and to meditate in His temple" (Psalm 27:4).

PRAYER:
A day in your courts, Lord, is better than a thousand days spent anywhere else (Psalm 84:10, Katrina's paraphrase). You have given me access to You through the blood of Jesus -- not the blood of bulls and goats. Thank you for providing a way for me to be cleansed from sin -- not just have it covered over. Thank you for Your holy law that teaches me Your holiness and my right conduct -- It would condemn me completely without the blood of Jesus that provides complete forgiveness. And thank you for making me a part of the priesthood of believers -- No longer are You accessed only through Levitical priests. Thank you, Lord, that I can dwell in your presence always and meditate on YOU and Your word. Through Jesus, Amen.

1 comment:

Dancingirl said...

I recently heard that one way to define "holy" is "to be near to God." I liked that because too often I think of holiness as something off-putting - "set apart". And holiness can be off putting, I guess, if you don't want to be near to God!

You comments here about imagining being an Israelite, worshipping God through sacrifices, not having direct access to Him... all of them... hit me. I imagined with you!

I think we would all fail. I know I would. I do now. The law is necessary, but it doesn't give life. I am so thankful that I'm on this side of Jesus.