Monday, March 17, 2008

Day 77: Psalm 18

God, My Rock!

SCRIPTURE: Psalm 18

BACKGROUND

In the Hebrew the inscription above the chapter is included with the chapter, all of one piece. So David sang this song to the LORD when God delivered him from the hands of his enemies and the hand of Saul. Later, probably toward the end of his life, he gave the song to the director of music to be sung. The song, with few variations, is also found in 2 Samuel 22. Check it out!

David was chosen by God and anointed by Samuel to be the next king of Israel, after Saul. David knew this. But for several years he was hunted by King Saul who was jealous of him and wanted to kill him. David spent those years on the move hiding from Saul, trying to survive. David did not connive or try to wrest the kingship from Saul. He had opportunity to kill him, but didn’t. And he kept his men, those who joined him in hiding, from harming Saul. Eventually Saul and his son Jonathan were killed in a battle with the Philistines, and David became king. For the first years of his reign he warred with neighboring pagan countries who wanted to control Israel: the Philistines, the Moabites, the Ammonites and others. Finally, David was given peace.

In this song, David pictures Jehovah God as a rock, fortress, deliverer, shield, horn of salvation (which signifies strength), a stronghold, and a light giver. There is a long passage (vv. 7- 17), a powerful extended metaphor, that shows God as a mighty warrior, riding through the sky to defend and rescue David, who was overwhelmed and cried to God. Notice the parallel structures of many of the verses, the balanced statements.

REFLECTION

This is a long psalm – a long song! Wouldn’t you have loved to hear David sing it? I would! Maybe we will get to someday!

David was overwhelmed by those who were powerful and proud, the ungodly, those who relied on their own wits and strength and power rather than on God’s. David’s fear was like a flood, the distress was like being bound by ropes – these are some of the images David uses to show his helplessness in the face of his enemies. Yet, in his distress he didn’t strike out or sin by taking things into his own hands; he remained faithful to God, obeyed God, and he cried to God for help. “In my distress I called to the LORD; I cried to my God for help.” (v. 6) And God heard! God rescued him from the deep water of fear and despair. (v. 16) God renewed him and strengthened him and gave him victory. Verse 36 uses a metaphor to explain how God eased David. It says that God made the path broader for David, so that David didn’t trip or fall down or hurt himself.

Read verses 27 – 36 again: “You save the humble/ but bring low those whose eyes are haughty. You O LORD, keep my lamp burning;/ my God turns my darkness into light./ ... As for God, His way is perfect;/ the word of the LORD is flawless/. He is a shield/ for all who take refuge in Him./ For who is God besides the LORD?/ And who is the Rock except our God?/ It is God who arms me with strength/ and makes my way perfect.”

What passages are especially meaningful to you today?

APPLICATION

Have you ever been overwhelmed by distress in some form – by worry, fear, indecision, unfair treatment, hurt by others, your own sin? I have. The metaphors of flood and darkness are so apt. What do you do in those times; to whom do you turn? Next time (or now, if you’re in a dark place at this moment) read this psalm out loud from your heart. Turn to God – our rescuer and stronghold and light giver. Keep on trusting and obeying and cling to our ROCK!

This psalm is a song of praise to God. It really is all about God. It lifts up the Name of the One who made a covenant with David. The Bible is not primarily a book of rules for us to follow, or of moral stories that tell us how to live better, or a self-help book. It is a book that celebrates God the King’s covenant love for His people, for those who trust in Him. So often we make the Bible about us, and it was given to us, but it’s not about us – we are not its focus. The focus of the Bible is on the LORD God and His glory, on lifting up the Name of the One who rescues us!

Isaiah 55: 1- 3 says, “Come, all you who are thirsty,/ come to the waters;/ and you who have no money,/ come, buy and eat!/ …. Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good,/ and your soul will delight in the richest of fare./ Give ear and come to me; hear me, that your soul may live./ I will make an everlasting covenant with you, my faithful love promised to David.” If those of us who are thirsty, spiritually impoverished, and humble – those of us who know we are needy - come to God for life, for sustenance – we are part of the everlasting covenant that God made with David. God promises us His faithful love!

So that last verse of the psalm is for us! We know far more of God’s plan than David did. That “Warrior” who charged down to save David from his enemies, came in the flesh to save those who trust Him, to save those in distress. He has defeated our enemies: sin and death. Let’s take some time today to praise God for His unfailing kindness to us.

PRAYER (Feel free to sing it! It’s really about Psalm 104, but fits with this psalm, too.)

O worship the King, all glorious above,
And gratefully sing His power and His love;
Our Shield and Defender, the Ancient of Days,
Pavilioned in splendor, and girded with praise.

O tell of His might, O sing of His grace,
Whose robe is the light, whose canopy space.
His chariots of wrath the deep thunderclouds form,
And dark is His path on the wings of the storm.

Thy bountiful care, what tongue can recite?
It breathes in the air, it shines in the light;
It streams from the hills, it descends to the plain,
And sweetly distills in the dew and the rain.

Frail children of dust, and feeble as frail,
In Thee do we trust, nor find Thee to fail;
Thy mercies how tender! How firm to the end!
Our Maker; Defender, Redeemer, and Friend.

8 comments:

Rachel said...

I like how you brought out so strongly the context of this Psalm. David sure did know what it was like to be both pursued by and rescued from his enemies! But the enemy is after all of us, in dramatic or undramatic ways, and God is no less our deliverer than his.

At this beginning of Holy Week, another context struck me, too. David was God's anointed one--the king God had chosen to rule his people. Another Anointed One, Jesus the Christ, would experience a similar situation and could likewise say, "The cords of death entangled me;/ the torrents of destruction overwhelmed me./ The cords of the grave coiled around me;/ the snares of death confronted me." And even though Jesus had a far more intimate knowledge of the grave than David, its cords couldn't hold him, either. Again on Easter, as described in v. 50, "God gives his king great victories; he shows unfailing kindness to his anointed.." The victory of God's Anointed One is our victory, too, and in him the darkness turns to light.

Carol Ann Weaver said...

I have always loved this Psalm! I love the . . .there I got. I got interrupted for the fifteenth time since I tried to start this comment about an hour ago. Goal: to write more by the end of the day!

Dancingirl said...

Such a great insight! Especially this week. It is so great how the more we look the more there is to see. Yes, Jesus, the descendant of David who will rule forever was The Anointed One. And He surely did know despair and faced those cords of death, probably more than any of us ever will. But God rescued Him, too. Wow.

So great that it was true on the literal level, but is also symbolic of us and especially of Jesus. Thanks so much for mentioning it. So good to ponder this week.

Dancingirl said...

That previous comment was for Rachel!

Carol, hope you find some time to write down your thoughts. I look forward to reading them. I love this psalm, too! (Though I'm finding so far that I love every one the more I meditate on them.)

Katrina said...

I love this Psalm, too. I read it again last night before bed and really let Rachel's thoughts of Jesus sink in. Thanks, Rachel!

Don't leave us hanging, Carol! LOL I hope you get a chance to come back and leave your comments.

Carol Ann Weaver said...

I'm back. Still sick too, but even though my voice is pretty much gone I am breathing more easily. Canceled everything (had to because my car had to be towed yesterday because it wouldn't start) for the rest of the week (at least until Friday night). So, I am RESTING as Carrie ordered (LOL!)

I love everything about this Psalm (except the parts about pursuing your enemies and overtaking them!). This part spoke to my heart that morning (Monday):

"He sent from on high, He took me;
He drew me ot of many waters.
He delivered me from my strong enemy,
and from those who hated me, for they were too mighty for me.
They confronted me in the day of my calamity,
But the LORD was my stay.
He brought me forth also into a broad place;
He rescured me, because He delighted in me. (16-19)

I felt like this is what has happened to me in the last couple of years, my feet have been put in a very broad place after years and years of a really difficult situation. He drew me out of "many waters." I am not sure what that means, but I felt like I was sludging through mud all the time. I was so discouraged by it!

I feel so rescued in so many ways! That broad place has put me in touch with such kind,loving people who really care about me!

I am on FACEBOOK with one of my pastors, and almost daily he sends an encouraging word or says that he is praying for us. God has set my feet in a large place.

I feel completely delivered into such a safe and broad place.

I am so rejoicing at God's goodness. Even this blog is a result of me having freedom to fly because I am so supported and given a "You go GIRL!" kind of response to this whole endeavor. It is so freeing!

LauraLiz said...

I'm finally getting to this Psalm (better late than never?), and had to laugh when Carol said she loved it except the parts about overtaking your enemies! I was thinking the same thing when I read it, but all of a sudden I thought about how I need to take thoughts captive and deal with habits, personality traits, and other things that can be my enemy. I'd like to be able to say about these things "I pursued my enemies and overtook them, and I did not turn back until they were consumed. I shattered them, so that they were not able to rise; they fell under my feet." What freedom!

Dancingirl said...

Laura, I thought about that, too, when I read the psalm, that our "enemies" could be the sins, the desires that wage war against God within us. And I sure hope that God rescues me and enables me to be victorious against them and put them to death!

But still, I understand what Carol means; it's hard to think of wanting to kill other people, of God ordaining their deaths - and we run into that all the way throught the OT (here and in Exodus and elsewhere). So I've been mulling over that some. It's one of those hard truths, I think.

First, I am thankful that the Bible doesn't mince words - God recognizes that we have enemies. Jesus wouldn't tell us to love our enemies if there wasn't such a thing as one.

Second, God's Name is of utmost importance. His Name is more valuable than people. That is hard to wrap my mind around. God died for His Glory. Yes, He loves us, but His love is based on Himself.

Carol, I loved that part about our feet being put in a broad place, too. I can think of a couple of times when I know, it was God who intervened and took me out of an impossible situation in which I felt utterly and completely helpless and ignorant. He rescued me and put me in a place where I could run! Thanks for bringing that out.