Monday, May 5, 2008

Day 125: Psalm 27

READING: Psalm 27

BACKGROUND/SUMMARY

David faced quite a bit of adversity and unfair treatment in his life. Accused of things he didn’t do, resented for motives he didn’t have, betrayed by people close to him - he was forced to run and hide. He wasn’t only slandered, but he was persecuted and hounded so much that his life was jeopardized. All that to say that this psalm comes from the heart of a man who understood fear and bewilderment and injustice.

REFLECTION

I love this psalm! It is exuberant and trusting while at the same time revealing very real concerns and fears. David faced those fears, he didn’t just shove them away and not think about them. At the same time he turned to the LORD in whom he trusted. It’s worth looking at what David did when he experienced unfairness and fear.

The psalm opens with several statements of truth. “The LORD is my light and my salvation;/ Whom shall I fear?/ The LORD is the strength of my life:/ Of whom shall I be afraid?” David belonged to God; he had placed his faith in the LORD, the Creator and Sustainer of the universe, the Mighty God. That being so, how could he fear? He’s reminding himself that with God (the Creator of light) as his light (comfort, revealer of the way to walk), with God as his salvation (rescuer), with God as his strength (lifegiver and God of all might and power) – he truly has no reason to fear.

He lists his fears. He focuses on his priority – the one thing he longs for. What is it?

David has an appetite, a desire for God. He yearns for God. He wants to be near God. God is his ONE thing.

He reminds himself and God that he seeks God’s face and that God is his help. He asks again for mercy and care and guidance in the midst of those who want to hurt him and those who lie about and misrepresent him. He places his trust in the goodness of the God for whom he longs. In fact, if he hadn’t trusted that goodness, if he’d focused on those enemies, he would have lost heart.

The psalm ends in expectant hope. “Wait on the LORD;/ be of good courage,/ And He shall strengthen your heart;/ Wait, I say, on the LORD!” David found his courage in the character of his God and as he waited and reflected on God. As he waited in expectation his heart was strengthened.

APPLICATION

Here are some questions that I’ve asked myself as I’ve meditated on Psalm 27. Perhaps you will want to ask them yourself.

Who is the God I pray to? Do I make God in my image? Do I make Him less than He is?

If I belong to the God who made all that is, who sustains everything, who loves me so much that He came Himself to rescue me – then how can I fear anything? Really and truly there is NOTHING that He can’t handle. What happens to me is sifted through His strong and loving hand.

What do I long for? What do I most desire?

Perhaps sometimes I live in fear or wallow in self-pity or resentment because I have a divided heart. I want God, but only if I can please myself, too. If I long for God more than anything, there is nothing that I should fear. Even death can’t separate me from God. NOTHING can separate me from Him and His love. (For more on that read Romans 8: 35 – 39.)

Am I willing to wait on God, expectantly? Sometimes I want what I want NOW! But I wonder if the waiting, the focusing on God and who He is, the desire to be near Him – I wonder if that is where I am changed and taught and encouraged. I behold Him and as I behold Him I am made more like Him. I am freed from fear and I am shown the way to go.

PRAYER

Please be my one thing, Lord, the one thing I desire most. I long to know You and to be near You. Show me Your face and teach me Your way. Help me to turn to You when I am afraid or when I am bewildered or unfairly treated. Thank you for being my Light and Salvation and Strength. I wait with expectation on Your goodness.

2 comments:

Carol Ann Weaver said...

Psalm 27 is my favorite Psalm. It is contains my life verse:

"One thing I have asked of the LORD that I shall seek:
That I dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to meditate in His temple." Psalm 27:4

It is also my birthday Psalm! Since I was born on the 27th of the month. :)

As we were talking at BBC tonight, it just all comes down to dwelling in His presence. If we are dwelling in Him, then all our priorities fall into place. We walk in obedience. We ride the wave of His Spirit.

Maybe I am very Pollyanna on this point, but I think it is very simple when we look at the "ONE THING" principle in our walk with the LORD!

Thanks for sharing Becky!

Katrina said...

But I wonder if the waiting, the focusing on God and who He is, the desire to be near Him – I wonder if that is where I am changed and taught and encouraged.

So true! It's when we struggle, wait, and desire that we grow.