Monday, May 12, 2008

Day 132: Psalms 28 - 29

READING: Psalm 28 and Psalm 29

BACKGROUND

Not much is known about the occasions of the writing of these two psalms. The text does state that they are from David.

REFLECTION

Today I am going to ask you some questions! I hope they’ll help you reflect on the psalms.

In Psalm 28 David prays for something and has it answered. What does he pray for (1 – 5) ? What is his response to answered prayer (6 – 9)?

David doesn’t want to live like the wicked. It’s surprising to me how he describes them.. The one sin named is not what we think of as a "biggie" like murder or adultery. What is the specific wrong named (3)? What do the wicked trust and how do they act (4-5)?

This psalm echoes Psalm 5, so read that for a slightly different spin on the same theme. In Psalm 28 David asks that God give the wicked what they deserve. And the one sin named, hypocrisy in friendship (3), is one that most of us can identify with. In fact, as I read Romans 12 with my daughter today, I noticed that we are told there, in verse 9, to “love without hypocrisy.” (Don’t you love it when you see the unity of God’s word?!) To be honest, these verses in Psalm 28 make me uncomfortable and yet I am glad that they are here. There are consequences to how we live life. David wants to live with integrity – to be the same on the outside and the inside. To put it in New Testament language, he wants to be transformed (Romans 12: 2)! He doesn’t want to be identified with those who don’t recognize and trust God’s work and ongoing care of us in this world (5). He recognizes that the consequences of not living for God, of not trusting Him and His work are fitting. Continuing to live apart from God on earth, the refusal to recognize God as God, involves self- deceit and inevitably leads to eternity apart from God. The consequences of humbly yielding to God and recognizing His work are God's mercy, help, and joy.


We are all sinners. God’s greatest work is that He came in the flesh to sacrifice Himself once and for all so that we can live abundantly – for Him – now and forever. Our only hope (as David himself recognizes) is in God. He ends the psalm in trust and praise. God is our helper, our strength, our savior, our shepherd. In fact, David ends the psalm by expanding his praise to include God’s people (8-9). If you have trusted in Jesus’ death for you, then you are included here! I am included here!

Psalm 29 is a powerful poem filled with figurative language and images. Try reading it out loud and think about the images used. What do they communicate about God? What characteristic stands out? What spiritual lessons are here regarding our response as His people?

I noticed in these two chapters all the images used of God and it made me think about what God has been compared to or called in Psalms so far. If you have time, go back and look at the images and descriptions used for God so far in Psalms. Here’s my list:

King
Shield
Judge
Mighty warrior
Creator
Refuge
Avenger
Counselor
Rock
Fortress
Deliverer
Strength
Horn of salvation, Salvation
Stronghold
Light
Guide
Redeemer
Holy
Rescuer
Shepherd
Owner of world
Teacher
Forgiver
Beautiful
Good
Powerful

Wow! I don’t know about you, but this gives me a reassuring perspective. This is probably not complete, just what I saw as I skimmed the first twenty-nine psalms. Many of these characteristics are mentioned quite often. What do you see?

As I skimmed I thought that I would also like to go through these psalms and list the characteristics of the godly or righteous as well as the characteristics of the wicked. So I’m going to do that in the next couple of weeks.

On a personal note – I am going to be away for about two weeks to help prepare for and celebrate my niece’s wedding! I will not have much access to internet, but I will be reading along in the Bible and look forward to catching up here when I return.

RESPONSE

How do I live? Do I live as if I am held in the hand of the God revealed in the Bible, in these psalms? Do I live for God or for myself?

Do I love without hypocrisy?

Let’s examine our own hearts and turn to God for forgiveness and mercy and help. Then, let’s obey from a heart full of love and praise to God!

PRAYER

LORD, our Shepherd King, our Rescuer and Refuge, thank you that your Word – all the many parts of it – magnify and complete each other. Thank you that we can see Jesus in every part. Help us to live our lives in You, resting in Your power and mercy and love. Show us our hearts and help us to love without hypocrisy. Work in the hearts of those around us, that they may recognize Your work as the giver and sustainer of life and serve You.

No comments: