Thursday, May 1, 2008

Day 121: Numbers 7

SCRIPTURE: Numbers 7

SUMMARY:
The leaders of the tribes brought gifts to be used in the service of the tabernacle. First they brought oxen and carts for transporting the structure. These were given to the priests. Moses did not give any to the sons of Kohath, though, because their job was to transport the holy objects. These were the items that God told them to make with rings on the sides for poles to be inserted through. These articles would always be carried by the poles on the shoulders of the sons of Kohath, so they would not need carts.


Next the prince of each tribe brought gifts and offerings for the dedication of the altar. The list is exactly the same for each tribe:
  • grain offerings -- one silver dish of 130 shekels (about 65 oz.) and one silver bowl of 70 shekels (about 35 oz.) each filled with fine flour mixed with oil
  • burnt offerings -- one gold pan of 10 shekels (about 5 oz.) filled with incense, one bull, one ram, and one male lamb one year old
  • sin offering -- one male goat
  • peace (fellowship) offerings -- two oxen, five rams, five male goats, and five male lambs one year old
REFLECTION & APPLICATION:
Why do you think it was significant that each tribe gave exactly the same thing for the dedication ceremony? Are there things you have that you dedicate to God for His service? Should you dedicate more?

PRAYER:
Lord, I want ALL of my life to be dedicated wholly to You -- not just Sunday mornings and bits and pieces of my life, time, money, abilities, etc. Let me be completely Yours. Because Jesus purchased me, Amen.

7 comments:

Carol Ann Weaver said...

Thanks Katrina! I forgot that it was your regular day, and I had gotten up this morning to post. George had the computer last night because we lead a digital photography class today so I couldn't post anything. I got up this morning, and there was your post, and I said, "Oh, it's Thursday!" You had originally taken this day BECAUSE I always had a busy Thursday! What a blessing.

This chapter reminded me of my SHAPE things. Giving our gifts to God. I will be going over this next week with a girl that I am discipling. Pray for me! What are your gifts?

Katrina said...

That's a good question. I'm not really sure what my gifts are.

Dancingirl said...

"Why do you think it was significant that each tribe gave exactly the same thing for the dedication ceremony?"

Good question! Maybe because they were equal, one wasn't better or worse than another? Maybe so they couldn't complain that they were "giving" more, or feel superior because of it? I'm thinking on that!

Katrina, I think one of your gifts is encouragement. There are probably others, but that one jumps out for me.

Carol Ann Weaver said...

What did the gifts test tell you that we took last spring in North Carolina?

Carol Ann Weaver said...

Donating equally promoted unity, maybe?

Katrina said...

Carol, it seems I get different results every time I take one of those tests. I think the one I took in NC had me gifted in administration and maybe encouragement plus a couple of others I don't remember now.

Katrina said...

"Why do you think it was significant that each tribe gave exactly the same thing for the dedication ceremony?"

I like both of your answers. :) I think the equal giving kept all tribes from claiming to be better because they gave more. At the same time, no tribe feels less important by having given less. Eliminating this competition would promote unity.