Sunday, July 17, 2011

1 Samuel 10 - Tall Saul Anointed as King

LINK: 1 Samuel 10

BACKGROUND

This is a continuation of the story started in 1 Samuel 9. Samuel anointed Saul with oil just as we saw back in Exodus 30:23-33 where Aaron and his sons were anointed and consecrated for service. Saul's anointing was also accompanied by the presence and power of the Holy Spirit in which Saul would be "changed into another man" (10:6) with the character and abilities to become the King of Israel because God was "with him" (10:7). When Samuel presented Saul as king (after they found him hiding among the baggage), the majority of the masses agreed and proclaimed "Long live the king!" Valiant men touched by God followed Saul while worthless men despised him.

The Scarlet Thread of Redemption

Would the king "live long"?

No, the Lord had prophesied through Jacob, in Genesis 49:10, that the kingship would be through the line of Judah (not Benjamin) and eventually lead to the promised Messiah, Jesus. 

REFLECTION

I always giggle when I read this chapter trying to imagine this man, Saul, who stood head and shoulders above all the other people, hiding among the baggage when it was his turn to "stand tall" and become the king! I wonder what it was that caused him to hide when it was clear that the Spirit of God was upon him. Was it humility, fear of failure, or just wanting out of the whole thing?

Then I thought of how I have been given certain gifts of the Holy Spirit that I do not utilize. One in particular, keeps on cropping up. In many evaluations people have given me of my gifts, this one gift (discernment) keeps coming up, and I groan, "Lord, I would really rather not have that gift in the mix!" It is the gift I love to hate! I find myself often "hiding among the baggage" because I would really rather just forget I have it. Sometimes, it causes me to see through things and people when I would really rather just be oblivious to everything!

But Paul says to "stand tall" and ". . . fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands. For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline" (2 Timothy 1:6-7, NIV), and "Do not neglect the spiritual gift within you" (1 Timothy 4:14).

Even as recent as my trip to Southeast Asia in 2008, I was having a fighting match with the Lord over this gift. Thankfully, the Lord won (He always does) and led me to "come out from among the baggage" and use this gift as I interceded and continue to intercede for something.

2015 Update: I am utilizing that gift and embrace it wholeheartedly. Growth! 

APPLICATION

Stand Tall

How about you? Are you "stepping out from among the baggage" and "standing tall" by utilizing and developing all the gifts He has given you for His glory? If not, why not? Is it humility, fear of failure, fear of what others might think, disobedience, or uncertainty about how to develop those gifts? Dialogue with the Giver of all good gifts about what it could be that is holding you back.

Find a Mentor

If it is uncertainty about developing those gifts, might I suggest looking for an older, more mature person in the Lord whom you see utilizing one or more of your similar gifts and asking them how they developed one or all of them? We ALL benefit from having a mentor/discipler/spiritual director in our lives. When you combine my two mentors, my entire gift mix is there, and it has been WONDERFUL to have them in my life to "fan into flame" the gifts that He has given me! If you are looking for a mentor, ask for prayer in the comments here so we can pray for one another!

2014 Update: I no longer dislike that gift! I have learned to "stand tall" and be "Boldly Beloved" (my identity name from God) as I exercise it! Also, one of my beloved mentors (Ginny) passed away in October 2013 at the ripe old age of 90! 

2023 Update: My other mentor, Lorraine (who had a similar personality type and gift mix) passed away in 2019. I miss both of my mentors so much. I have had a spiritual director since 2017, and that has helped me so much. I heartily recommend always having someone like this in your life! 

PRAYER

Lord, thank You for Your Holy Spirit that lives inside all those who know You through Jesus. Please help us to "come out from behind the baggage" and "stand tall" for Your glory. We ask this in Jesus' name. Amen.

3 comments:

Dancingirl said...

Hey Carol - Welcome home! I'm praying for you and George as you discover what God has for you next.

I would LOVE to have an older, more mature woman to mentor me. I have my mother (long distance), but would love someone a bit more removed and objective. I feel strange asking for prayer about this because I am not young anymore! But I've never really had an older woman with similar gifting to mentor me. So I'm asking for prayer at this late date!

Carol Ann Weaver said...

Thank you so much for the welcome home! We are a little giddy with excitement to see what God has up His sleeve for us. The possibilities are exciting even though George loved his job so much, but George has loved every job he has ever had. So, I am sure the next one will be no different!

I will pray. I don't think it is too late to pray for a mentor. :) I will pray!

Carol Ann Weaver said...

I wonder if Becky (Dancingirl) has found a mentor. I love having a mentor. For the most part, I have had consistent mentoring since 1997. I had a bit in college too.