Wednesday, July 20, 2011

1 Samuel 13 & 14 - Saul's Impatience and Impulsiveness

LINK: 1 Samuel 13 & 14

BACKGROUND

1 Samuel 13 

Saul showed his impatience by not waiting for Samuel and taking over the role of a priest by offering sacrifices in defiance of God's commands (Leviticus 6:8-13) and Samuel's words (10:8). Samuel arrived (just at the time he said he would) and rebuked Saul for his foolishness and announced that Saul's kingdom would end and that God had sought out another man "after His own heart" (13:14).

1 Samuel 14 

Saul almost lost his son, Jonathan, by making an impulsive oath saying a man would die if he ate anything before Saul had avenged himself on his enemies. Only the pleas of the people saved Jonathan from death.

REFLECTION

How often have impatience and impulsiveness been the downfall of many believers? It has certainly been a snare for me at times in my life! Saul was feeling great fear of the Philistine invasion. So, he took matters into his own hands and did a little sacrifice - what is the harm in that? We do the same thing. We sometimes "fudge" and manipulate situations out of fear that maybe - this time - the LORD will not come through. So, we try to "help" God out with our own efforts. Bad idea. Better to wait on God.

Samuel's answer about finding a "man after God's heart" is the key to waiting. A Hebrew word study of the word for "wait" (kawvah) reveals that it comes from a root word that means "to bind together, perhaps by twisting." I try to visualize and remind myself that when I am waiting, I am winding my heart like a cord around the Lord's heart. This makes waiting a positive thing! It also helps me to become a "woman after God's heart."

As my dear, departed mentor, Ginny, used to say:

"God's trains are always on time, 
and they never miss connections."

While you are waiting for that train to arrive, why not do a little binding of your heart to the Lord?

APPLICATION

Has God put you in a position of having to wait for something! Consider it an opportunity to do the "binding and twisting" dance with God! He loves you so much that He wants you to have a heart after His.

Look up the following verse about waiting: Psalm 27:14; Isaiah 25:9; 30:18; 40:31.

PRAYER

Lord, we wait for You alone. We want to be men and women after Your own heart. Teach us what it means to bind our hearts around Your heart. I ask this in Jesus' name. Amen.

1 comment:

Carol Ann Weaver said...

I have been waiting for something for quite a while. When I was riding my bike the other day, I was praying for this thing, and I was flooded with God's presence. It was so comforting. I am being the persistent widow by praying, but I am binding my heart around God's heart in the waiting.