Sunday, July 31, 2011

Psalm 34 - Magnify the Lord with Me

LINK: Psalm 34

BACKGROUND

If you are reading these Psalms in their historical context, you know that this is based on David’s activity in 1 Samuel 21. David fled to Gath and pretended to be a madman to protect himself because, in the ancient world, insane people were not harmed in order not to provoke the gods. 

David celebrated God's graciousness to him during his trials. Then he exhorted others to come to praise Him.

REFLECTION

When is the last time you actually praised God? Outside of our church and maybe a Bible study, most of us do not take the time to praise Him. What a challenge for me to hear that David did it continually (Psalm 34:1).

APPLICATION

I have made a commitment to take a "praise walk" around the block. What will be your "I will" statement in response to this Psalm?

I also find the book Face to Face: Praying the Scriptures for Intimate Worship by Kenneth Boa helps me as all the prayers start out in adoration. 

Take time out of your busy day today to praise God!

PRAYER 

Pray responsively through Psalm 34. Nothing teaches us to praise God like the Psalms

Here is a downloadable handout for this:

1 comment:

Carol Ann Weaver said...

I am going to have a praise walk around the block just like I did all those years ago when I wrote this post. My watch just told me I need to stand, and it finally stopped raining! TTFN!