Saturday, July 30, 2011

1 Samuel 21 - David Flees to Nob and Gath

LINK: 1 Samuel 21

BACKGROUND

This chapter begins with David's life in exile which will last until 1 Samuel 26.

In this chapter, David escaped to Nob. Nob was also known as "the town of the priests" (22:19). It was on a ridge about one mile north of Jerusalem. This ridge would eventually overlook Solomon's temple. During the time of David, it was the location of the Tabernacle.

After he discovered one of Saul's men in Nob, David escaped to Gath, the hometown of Goliath, the Philistine. In order to protect himself, he acted insane because in the ancient world, an insane person was considered an evil portent. Consequently, the person was not harmed in order not to provoke the gods.

Tomorrow, we will read Psalm 34. It was written as a result of this situation. You might want to meditate on it for your prayer time today and tomorrow. It is a very rich Psalm; one of my favorites!

PRAYER

Lord, we praise You that no matter where we are, You are our protection and strength. We ask this in Jesus' name. Amen.

1 comment:

Carol Ann Weaver said...

I don't know why, but David acting mentally ill reminded me of the mentally ill homeless person that tried to flag me down while riding my bike through the homeless camp that is set along the river bike path. I was too afraid to stop (people have been stabbed there). My heart is burdened for the rising homeless population in my community, but I am not equipped to deal with the many people who are mentally ill and drug-addicted. I am reminded to give to my friend that has housing for some of them if they are willing to give up their drugs. I will pray and give to her ministry.