Monday, June 15, 2009

Isaiah 17 & 18 - Prophecies about Syria & Cush

by Katrina

LINK:
Isaiah 17-18

BACKGROUND
Damascus was the capital of Syria also known as Aram. Israel had allied herself with Syria, trusting in protection from Syria rather than trusting in God. In chapter 17, Isaiah tells of the destruction of Syria. This happened when Damascus was conquered in 732 B.C. The fall of Damascus was a warning to Israel of their pending destruction. In 722 B.C. Israel was conquered by Assyria and was a country no more.

What was called Cush in Isaiah's day is now the land of Ethiopia, the Sudan, and Somalia. This powerful nation, and ambassadors came from other nations to seek alliances that would protect them from Assyria. But the Lord quietly watched from heaven and allowed Assyria to ripen for His judgment when He will cut it down (v. 5) and leave it for the birds and beasts to eat. There are similar images of judgment in Revelation 14:14-20 and Revelation 19:17-21

Chapter 18 ends with a description of people from Cush traveling to Jerusalem to bring gifts to the Lord and to the king of Judah. This speaks of the millennial kingdom when Gentiles will come from all over the world to worship Jesus as Jerusalem.

REFLECTION
It's interesting that the nation of Israel has been ignoring God and His warnings all these years, yet when judgment actually comes and Assyria conquers and deports the nation, some people will turn to the Lord (Isaiah 18:7). Not only will they turn to God, but they will forsake their idols. But it will be too late, and the Lord will not listen. The destruction will still come to the nation.

APPLICATION
I often praise and thank the Lord for His longsuffering. He is very patient with me. I don't ever want to take advantage of His patience, though, and assume I can get away with sin. That's what the Israelites were doing. They had the attitude that they were "God's chosen people" and could therefore do whatever they wanted. Rather than that kind of attitude, I want to have an attitude of thankfulness that God has made me His child. Then I want to serve Him with my life and worship Him with my whole heart.

PRAYER
Lord, thank you for adopting me as your child. Thank you for your patience as I learn and grow in you. As David said, teach me your ways and show me your path. I want to wholeheartedly love and serve you. Because of Jesus, amen.

No comments: