Sunday, June 7, 2009

Psalm 103 - Bless the LORD, O My Soul!

by Becky

LINK: Psalm 103

BACKGROUND

This is one of my very favorite psalms! I want to bathe in it and let its words and thoughts wash over me. Not only is it beautiful poetically, but its words and ideas go deeper and deeper the more I meditate on it.

Evidently I am not alone:

There is too much in the Psalm, for a thousand pens to write, it is one of those all-comprehending Scriptures which is a Bible in itself, and it might alone almost suffice for the hymn-book of the church. … Spurgeon

The Psalm, in regard to number, is an alphabetical one, harmonized in such a way as that the concluding turns back into the introductory verse, the whole being in this manner finished and rounded off. …The Psalm bears the character of quiet tenderness. It is a still clear brook of the praise of God. … E. W. Hengstenberg

It is observable that no petition occurs throughout the entire compass of these twenty-two verses. Not a single word of supplication is in the whole Psalm addressed to the Most High. Prayer, fervent, heartfelt prayer, had doubtless been previously offered on the part of the Psalmist, and answered by his God. Innumerable blessings had been showered down from above in acknowledgment of David's supplications; and, therefore, an overflowing gratitude now bursts forth from their joyful recipient. He touches every chord of his harp and of his heart together, and pours forth a spontaneous melody of sweetest sound and purest praise.
... John Stevenson, in "Gratitude: an Exposition of the Hundred and Third Psalm," 1856.

REFLECTION

It’s timely that Psalm 103 be the one for this week. This past week marked the twentieth anniversary of the massacre of the protesters in Tiananmen Square in China and twenty years ago our family was poised to move to China. We did go later that summer. The next year was a rough one for me, one in which I came to realize in many ways my own frailty. I came to the end of my resources. I remember reading many of the psalms as I sobbed to the Lord. This one gave me strength. Verses 13 – 14, especially, comforted me:

“As a father pities his children,
so the LORD pities those who fear Him,
For He knows our frame;
He remembers that we are dust.”


The following hymn, based on this psalm, was penned by Henry Lyte, a pastor in England who had lung problems and frail health and yet managed to establish a Sunday school in his town for eight hundred children. He also wrote several other well-known hymns, among which are “Abide with Me” and “Jesus, I My Cross Have Taken.”

I’m linking the title to youtube, so those of you who aren’t familiar with it can hear it.

Praise, My Soul, the King of Heaven

(by Henry F. Lyte, 1793-1847)

Praise, my soul, the King of heaven;
To his feet your tribute bring;
Ransomed, healed, restored, forgiven,
Evermore His praises sing;
Alleluia, alleluia!
Praise the everlasting King.

Praise Him for His grace and favor
To His people in distress;
Praise Him still the same as ever,
Slow to chide, and swift to bless:
Alleluia, alleluia!
Glorious in His faithfulness.

Fatherlike He tends and spares us;
Well our feeble frame He knows;
In His hand He gently bears us,
Rescues us from all our foes.
Alleluia, alleluia!
Widely yet His mercy flows.

Angels, help us to adore Him;
You behold Him face to face;
Sun and moon, bow down before Him,
All who dwell in time and space.
Alleluia, alleluia!
Praise with us the God of grace.

By the way, this hymn was chosen by Queen Elizabeth II as her wedding hymn on November 20, 1947 in Westminster Abbey!

APPLICATION

Many spiritual blessings are listed in this psalm. What are they? Do you realize where they come from and do you praise God for them the way the psalmist, David, did?

According to this psalm, how is God’s love demonstrated? To whom is it given?

As you meditate on this psalm think about ONE thing you want to take with you. Will you share it with us?

PRAYER

Sing the hymn to God, thinking about the words.

3 comments:

Carol Ann Weaver said...

Love this hymn. I have never heard it. I am going to find the tune somewhere! Thanks Becky.

Dancingirl said...

I love it, too! Carol, the tune is linked to the title (youtube). Click on the title and listen and let me know what you think!

Katrina said...

I'd never heard that hymn before. I love it!

I love this psalm, too. I really should memorize it.

Praising God that He pardons all my iniquities (vs 3).