Sunday, June 28, 2009

Psalm 106 - History Lesson Continued

by Becky

LINK: Psalm 106

BACKGROUND

Last week our psalm (Psalm 105) centered on God’s faithfulness to His people from Abraham through the exodus from Egypt. This psalm’s history lesson begins after the exodus, with the parting of the Red Sea. Psalm 106 focuses on the cycle of the Israelites' stubbornness, self-centered lack of faith and consequent sin, and God’s continuing merciful and faithful response to them. The psalm is both a lesson and an encouragement to those who belong to God. It shows us how shortsighted we humans can be, how stubborn we are to have our own way, and how quickly we turn to complaining, grumbling, and even rebellion. It also makes clear that though sin must be punished, yet God remains faithful.

The psalm ends with a cry to God in verse 47, “Save us, O LORD our God, and gather us from among the Gentiles, to give thanks to Your holy name, to triumph in Your praise.” Apparently this psalm was composed during the captivity of the Israelites. It reminds God of His actions for His people in the past, of His redemption of them in the face of their sin. The psalmist confesses that his generation is just like their fathers’. Alhough an account of the people’s unfaithfulness to God, Psalm 106 would comfort those in despair by making clear God’s faithfulness and repeated deliverance even in the face of His children’s sin and rebellion. It is so fitting that the psalm begins and ends with praising God!

REFLECTION AND APPLICATION

This psalm is long and I hope you’ll spend some time thinking about it, so I will try to keep this entry short.

Verse 8 says, “Nevertheless, He saved them for His name’s sake.” I find that reassuring. Unlike us, God never changes. He was faithful then; He is still faithful. He is always righteous. His salvation doesn’t come because we deserve it, because we have served Him, because we are needy. His salvation comes because of who He is – His own character – His name.

It really is all about God. We want to make it all about us. That’s the struggle.

Look at how the people sinned. List the sins. I’ll start us off:

lack of understanding
forgetfulness
rebellion
impatience
lust for what they didn’t have
testing God
envy
idolatry

And I’m only to verse 19! What else is there? Think about the Israelites’ attitudes and actions. Do you see yourself there? I sure do.

After you list the sins, go back and look at the words used to describe the LORD. How did He respond to the sins of His people? Here’s my start to list of words about God:

good
merciful
doer of mighty acts
just
righteous
guide
savior
redeemer
rescuer
counselor

I stopped at verse 12. How else is God described?

I can’t help but think how this psalm foreshadows Jesus, our Redeemer. Just as God rescued His people over and over again in spite of their sin, so Jesus came, not because of anything we did to deserve it, but because of who He is. Jesus shows us the full extent of God’s desire to extend mercy, forgive, and redeem. Praise Him!

Why do I keep wanting to make it all about me?

PRAYER

LORD, thank you for this psalm in which I see myself. I am no different from the Israelites. I forget what You have done for me; I grumble and complain; I am impatient and want things on my timetable; I worship stupidly inferior things; I use those around me as a guide for living rather than Your word… the list goes on and on. I thank You that You redeem me because of who You are, because of Your Name, not because I have done something to deserve it. It is so restful to realize that. Help me to respond to Your faithfulness with trust and obedience. Blessed be You, our LORD God, forever!

No comments: