Sunday, June 10, 2012

Isaiah 24 - The Whole World Judged

LINK: Isaiah 24

BACKGROUND

The judgment of the nations through the Assyrian invasions in Isaiah 13-23 is a backdrop for the eventual judgment of the whole world. Isaiah 24-27 describes the devastation of the whole earth and the intense suffering of the people. Depending on your eschatological ("end times") bent, this could mean the time of the Tribulation and blessings of the millennium (1,000-year reign of Christ on earth).

"Earth" is mentioned 16 times in this chapter. It describes the desolation and ruin of the whole earth. It is a time of judgment and "day of reckoning" because the "people must bear their guilt" for their disobedience. God will judge the world in perfect righteousness, but it will not be pretty!

Yet in the midst of this, Isaiah refers to a small (24:6) believing remnant in 24:14-16 who will be left behind after God judges the earth. They will proclaim: "Glory to God, the Righteous One!" The doctrine of "the remnant" is an important part of Isaiah's message (1:9; 10:20-22; 11:11, 16; 14:22, 30). In fact, Isaiah's eldest son's name means "a remnant shall return" (7:3).

This "day of the Lord" will not only affect the earth and its inhabitants but Satan and his hosts. God will judge the "host of heaven on high" (24:21). This will be a part of the spiritual battles that parallel Revelation 20:1-3, an event that will happen right before the thousand-year reign of Jesus Christ (24:23; Revelation 20:4-10) when "the Lord of hosts will reign on Mt. Zion."

REFLECTION

Sin is rampant in our society. One of my friends came over yesterday. She felt a bit overwhelmed because of all the "yuck" going around in our society and even in Christendom. We went to prayer, and Psalm 40:1-3 came to mind:

I waited patiently for the Lord;
And He inclined to me and heard my cry.
He brought me up out of the pit of destruction, out of the miry clay,
And He set my feet upon a rock making my footsteps firm.
He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God;
Many will see and fear 
And will trust in the Lord.

While in prayer, I had this picture of my friend and me on top of a huge rock in the middle of rushing water that was heading over the precipice. I thanked God for setting our feet on the rock with firm footsteps, but I also had a vision of us standing firmly while seeking to pluck people from the rapids before they went over!

I am thankful for the ROCK I stand on. I do not want to be overwhelmed by the evil swirling around me but "overcome evil with good" (Romans 12:21) and seek, by God's grace, to lead people to the firm ROCK of Jesus Christ so that the deep waters and floor do not overflow them (Psalm 69:2) and sweep them over the edge! 

APPLICATION

Let God put a "new song" in Your mouth that sings praise to God and bears witness to a lost and dying world today!

PRAYER

Lord, thank You for taking us out of the muck and mire and flood of waters falling over the precipice and setting us upon the firm Rock of Christ. Your wrath is great toward those who disobey You, but in Your wrath, remember mercy! We know Your Word says that You take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn from his way and live (Ezekiel 33:11). Lord, help us to sing a new and loud song of praise to You that drowns out the loud sound of the waters of evil that seeks to drown people. May they hear the song and come and see and fear and trust in You. We ask this in the name of Jesus, our ROCK. Amen.

1 comment:

Carol Ann Weaver said...

Man, this whole first part of Isaiah is really convicting me about praying for the world! I love how God is speaking to me through it.