Saturday, June 16, 2012

Isaiah 31 & 32 - Peaceful Habitations

LINK: Isaiah 31 & 32 

BACKGROUND

This woe is directed against the alliance Judah wanted to make with Egypt. This was strictly prohibited in the Covenant (Deuteronomy 17:16). The Lord is calling back His covenant people: 
Return to Him from whom you have deeply defected. (Isaiah 31:6)
He assures them that protection from the Assyrian threat would only be in Him, and Isaiah's prophecy speaks of a messianic King who would deliver His people in the future and reign in righteousness giving them peace:
The Spirit is poured out upon us from on high,
And the wilderness becomes a fertile field,
And the fertile field is considered as a forest.
Then justice will dwell in the wilderness
And righteousness will abide in the fertile field.
And the work [fruit, NIV] of righteousness will be peace,
And the service [effect, NIV] of righteousness, quietness and confidence forever. 
Then my people will live in a peaceful habitation,
And in secure dwellings and in undisturbed resting places. (Isaiah 32:15-18)
REFLECTION

In a world that is in constant turmoil, I find great comfort in the fact that my confidence can be in my sovereign Lord. He is the only One that we can rely on in turbulent times. It also excites me to no end that there will come a time when a King will rule in righteousness over the whole world!

APPLICATION

Meditate on Isaiah 32:15-18 more closely. It says that the "fruit of righteousness will be peace" and "the effect of righteousness with be quietness and confidence, forever." As believers, God has "poured out His love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit" (Romans 5:5), and quietness, confidence, and peace can be part of our daily life no matter what our circumstances.

How are you doing living into that promise?

PRAYER

We praise You that Your Spirit has been poured out into our hearts. Lord, help us not to rely on anything apart from You. We give You the rule in our hearts today, and we trust You for whatever comes our way. We pray this in Jesus' name. Amen.

2 comments:

Carol Ann Weaver said...

Just to let everyone know. I AM doing these posts ahead of time and scheduling them to post, but this function has not been working since last Friday for me. I am still trying to get to the bottom of it. Unless I stay up until midnight or get up really early for the east coasters, the posts won't be there for some when they get up in the morning, and I apologize for that, but I have to get sleep! Still investigating. Carol

Carol Ann Weaver said...

Peaceful habitations. I feel led to go and walk in a place of peace right now, and my husband is going with me.