Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Isaiah 28 - Learning Like a Child

LINK: Isaiah 28

BACKGROUND

After a brief interlude, we are back to six more “woes” (the Hebrew word hôy is an interjection of impending doom or grief). Our first woe is for Ephraim, a prominent tribe in the northern kingdom. Samaria, the capital city was built by Omri (1 Kings 16:24) and overlooked a fruitful valley. Samaria was called a “wreath” for its exceptional beauty, but Isaiah likens it to a drunkard. Apparently, alcoholism was a problem in both the northern and southern kingdoms.

The fate of this “wreath” is not good. It will be trampled by Assyria, but the true “beautiful wreath” (28:5), the LORD Almighty, will be honored by the remnant of the faithful to Him.

Even with this warning, the leaders of Ephraim took Isaiah's words as if he were treating them like children. Their pride kept them from thinking they needed his warnings. The lines in verses 10 and 13 were a series of Hebrew monosyllables that imitate the babbling of a child and were meant to mock Isaiah’s words. Read them out loud:
Saw lāāw (precept upon precept/do on do/order on order/
Saw lāāw 
Qaw lāqāw (rule on rule/line on line) 
Qaw lāqāw 
Ze’er sham (a little here, a little there) 
Ze’er sham 
“A little here, a little there” was a method for teaching children in that culture and time. They would be taught a little at a time until they absorbed a particular teaching. 

It sounds like Ephraim needed to have this kind of elementary teaching, but they would not listen. Consequently, they would be “injured and snared and captured” (28:13) by a people whose language they did not understand; becoming like children as they struggled to understand the most elementary phrases. Isaiah was referring to the Assyrians who were advancing on Israel and would soon conquer it.

This message was not only for Ephraim but also for Judah. Jerusalem should have learned from Ephraim’s downfall, but they will continue to trust other nations for help. This passage may refer to Hezekiah’s alliance with Pharaoh Tirhakah against Assyria (2 Kings 19:9; Isaiah 37:9).

Isaiah 28:23-29 are a wisdom poem (a poetic parable) in two stanzas ending in references to God’s wisdom. God would not totally destroy, but He would purge the people like a farmer must crush his crops. Caraway and cumin (herbs that are probably in your cupboard) were beaten out with a rod or a stick instead of threshed. God would bring judgment, but it would not last forever.

The Scarlet Thread of Redemption

Judah’s hope could not be in foreign alliances but in God alone. Their only hope was the “costly cornerstone” of Zion (28:16). This refers to Jesus, the Messiah, and is interpreted this way in the New Testament (See 1 Peter 2:4-7; Romans 9:33; Mark 12:10; Psalm 118:22). God, the Rock was their only hope, not lies (28:15)!

REFLECTION

Having lived in another country, I know the necessity of “becoming like a child” to learn the language. Taking the posture of a learner is so counter-intuitive to our flesh! We want to show people what we know, and it is very humbling to know nothing.

When I lived overseas, I learned the language from a group of 20-somethings (because people my age knew English) when I was almost 40 years old. They led me around like I was a child and taught me about their language and culture as I stumbled through phrases and committed many social blunders.

Even though I had reached a certain level of fluency before I left my country in 1999, I am still a “child” when it comes to their language and will always be a learner. In fact, while visiting old friends in Southeast Asia in 2008 and talking about “fluency” coming back after being there for two weeks, I said, “Words seem to be coming out of the back of my coconut,” but I meant to say that they were coming “out of my head”! The words in this language are very similar. 

How humbling! My friends all got a good laugh with that one.

As I meditated on this passage today, I thought about how we all need to approach God as child-like learners. We cannot think we are “spiritually fluent” and get a big head like the leaders of Israel and Judah. We need to keep on learning from Him “precept upon precept, line on line, here a little there a little” every day of our lives even if we are leaders of others or have a Bible degree.

Heaven is our ultimate home, but we need to learn the language of Heaven in our everyday life here on Earth.

Jesus said, “Truly I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child will not enter it at all" (Mark 10:15).

Let’s become like children, shall we?

APPLICATION

Do you come to God with a teachable heart? You might want to talk to God about this.

Also, learning from God through His Word "precept on precept" is one of the ways we show our teachable heart. Thank you for coming on this journey through the pages of Scripture one verse at a time. One Bible study that I enjoyed for many years is called "Precept upon Precept." It is an intensive, inductive Bible study. 

There are some weaknesses in this study: 

1) Time-consuming daily "tasks" that can be a lot more of "do on do." Since they are so time-consuming, little time is left for 2-4 below.
2) Praying through and listening to God's voice as you study.
3) Lack of tangible application where we ask God how He wants us to respond.
4) No reflection and sharing of how we lived out what we learned from our study in our everyday life from the previous week. 

If you make time for the above, these studies will be really helpful. I don't like to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Just ask God, "What do you want me to know and how do you want me to respond to what I just learned from Your word today?" I also find that journaling about it is much better than just doing the daily exercises and answering the questions. 

I think another good question would be, "Who do you want me to talk to about what I just learned?" This helps you to digest it and blesses the other person.

Here is the website with their Bible Studies: 


PRAYER

Lord, we come as children ready to learn from You. Teach us to do Your will, for You are our God. Amen.

1 comment:

Carol Ann Weaver said...

As I am reading and responding to these posts, I want to always keep in mind that God is right here, speaking to my heart, wanting to speak to me through His word. Speak Lord, I am listening.